What causes Foamies

Gloria-Caryl
on 9/17/11 6:48 am
 I ate some noodles with shrimp and now I'm so sick I just had RNY aug. 15th. Was it too soon?
Mom4Jazz
on 9/17/11 6:51 am
Icky but true explanation: foamies happen when your stomach is so full that there's no place for the saliva that routinely heads out of your mouth to go, so it foams up and returns for a visit.

Usually it means you ate too much or too fast. Occasionally it's a specific food. Shrimp gets a bad rap, so that may be it.

Are the noodles OK per your diet plan?

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Island Girl
on 9/17/11 6:53 am - VI
Since you are sick my answer would be yes. Assuming your Dr has cleared you for solids I would step away from the shrimp for a bit and bag the noodles for a few months. Shrimp is hard to digest and noodles pretty much suck as far as nutrition goes.
I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand ,
        Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
               Life is good today. Life is good today.
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/11 6:59 am - Santa Cruz, CA
For myself, shrimp weren't a problem when I was at your place post-op, but noodles were definitely
not on the menu just because they seemed to ball up in my chest and HURT!

And the foamies happen when your body senses that food isn't getting down where it needs to go
and the saliva is intended to "grease the chute", so your mouth starts overproducing. 

If you haven't yet, you might just let let the food "urp" back up.  That will take care of the pain and
the foamies.  This isn't an OK for bulimia or anorexia, but sometimes the easiest solution to a
problem is the most basic!

You might just want to wait a while on some solid foods.  If you try one and it doesn't work, take
a break and then try again in a month or so.  Do very small amounts at first.

Good luck!
glzgowlass
on 9/18/11 4:40 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
My doc wants me to stay on mushy food for 8 weeks.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Most Active