wls and self esteem issues

ND2BTHN
on 9/19/11 8:19 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Hi, everyone.  I was just wondering on how, your wls has impacted your self esteem.

I just had my annual work review today, and it really brought to ligh,t  just how much my low self esteem has really held me back in my job. I am great at everything I do, and whatever i set myself to, but I don't take that extra step out of fear.  

Basically, I was told that I have the potential to move up in the company, and I have the experience, the ability, and many people who look up to me for guidance, but I just don't show the interest to take that extra step forward. I have been with my company for 14 years now, and have moved around to many positions, always lateral, but never up. They pointed out to me that, the door has been open for me to walk through, for a long time, and have often encouraged me, but something seems to be holding me back. 

Has anyone let their lack of self esteem hold you back from your full potential? How has it changed since your wls journey? 
Kathleen W.
on 9/19/11 8:37 am - Lancaster, PA
Wow, low self esteem fits many peole, especially those of us that were MO (NOTE: I realize that not everybody that's MO has low self esteem-but many do).  I found that I didn't want to do anything outside my comfort zone.  Now that I'm 2 years out,  I'm taking chances that I would never thought possible.  Things such as: excercise, showing off my body with negleges, going on rides at amusement parks, telling people off when they need it, fighting for myself and not let others dictate to me what I should be doing, Etc.
Losing the weight with the help of wls is very empowering.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

AnneGG
on 9/19/11 9:10 am
I think self esteem is often affected by weight, especially since society doesn't tolerate obesity well. I also think that some people have trouble catching up with their self esteem after they lose the weight- old habits die hard. Therapy can be very helpful.

I am feeling better in many ways since losing my weight. I am more willing to try new things, feel more comfortable around people, am comfortable at parties. I'm having a lot more fun living in my shoes!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/11 6:46 pm
 I definitely think my  issues with weight  affected my self esteem .   Of course  my  issues with weight may have been partially CAUSED   as  a form of self protection  growing up in an abusive family ...  so  that  affected my self esteem as well . 

I know I  too have  had a lot of problems  believing and taking advantage of  wonderful opportunities  when they were offered to me  because   I was  so comfortable  with  uncomfortability  and suffering  unfortunately . 

I wish I HAD gotten  therapy much sooner  honestly .  
ladybugnessa
on 9/19/11 10:54 pm - Owings Mills, MD
for me it helped. I feel better and stronger.  for my soon to be ex husband *****fuses to get help emotionally it did nothing now he's a thin and healthy self-loathing person...
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

Most Active