Hair loss and Protien

duranie512
on 10/4/11 1:56 am - OH
If your are getting all your grams of protien did you still lose your hair??  My Dr. doesn't think its from not getting enough protien its from hormone changes. I got thinkink if we really need the protien so our hair doesn't fall out then why don't we ever hear the vegatarians aren't losing their hair???
poet_kelly
on 10/4/11 2:04 am - OH
Vegetarians don't normally lose their hair because they eat protein.  Meat is not the only source of protein.  I have been a vegetarian for 25 years and my hair has always been quite healthy.

I did lose some hair after surgery and I think it was partly due to having trouble getting enough protein in the beginning.  It's also a reaction to anesthesia, called telogen effluvium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

USAF Wife
on 10/4/11 2:29 am
Best, and easiest to understand explanation:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4347455/Hair-Loss-in-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Patients/

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Dave Chambers
on 10/4/11 5:50 am - Mira Loma, CA
The vast majority of post ops lose hair. This includes vegeterians and those who eat meat proteins.  It's a result of many things--rapid wt loss, change in nutrients your body is used to, and trauma to your body. One woman in one of my support groups lost a lot of hair after RNY. The hair grew back. Then at around 17 months, she had a lower body lift. Guess what?? She lost a bunch of hair again. Childbirth, and major surgeries are both trauma to the body, and hair loss is common.  Take your supplements, eat as much protein as you can.  Each pateint is different, and so it the amount of hair loss. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active