Found a yummy protein

Kady
on 10/9/11 2:09 am - Lancaster County, PA
Since my surgery 2 weeks ago, I have been using Chocolate Truffle Nectar for my protein shakes and it been just okay so I had been relying a lot on S.F. Carnation Instant Breakfast.

BUT

I bought a sample packet of Jay Robb Vanilla, mixed it with 1 cup of skim milk and 1/4 of a frozen banana and it is delish-I seriously cannot taste the protein.  Yay!  Getting my protein is going to get a lot easier for me now!

So, try to find a place that sells the single serving packets of Jay Robb-and give it a try if you haven't found anything else you really love yet-it is at least worth a try :)

AnneGG
on 10/9/11 4:18 am
No accounting for individual tastes. The only protein I can halfway abide is BSN Lean Dessert. That and Power Pak Protein Pudding.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/11 4:29 am, edited 10/9/11 4:29 am
On October 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM Pacific Time, Kady wrote: Since my surgery 2 weeks ago, I have been using Chocolate Truffle Nectar for my protein shakes and it been just okay so I had been relying a lot on S.F. Carnation Instant Breakfast.

BUT

I bought a sample packet of Jay Robb Vanilla, mixed it with 1 cup of skim milk and 1/4 of a frozen banana and it is delish-I seriously cannot taste the protein.  Yay!  Getting my protein is going to get a lot easier for me now!

So, try to find a place that sells the single serving packets of Jay Robb-and give it a try if you haven't found anything else you really love yet-it is at least worth a try :) Of course it tastes better when you add skim milk and a 1/4 of a banana.  You just added 20 grams of SUGAR to it.  Now is the time to really be honest with yourself and get used to protein mixed with water.  I love Syntrax Nectar chocolate truffle.  I drink it every day (for over two years now)., but Syntrax comes in many other flavors and is virtually the same as the other protein you mention.  But are isolated whey with zero fat and carbs.  If you add those carbs (sugr) you will slow down your weight loss and have mny more stalls and won't break your carb addiction.

So...please try to find a pritein flavor you like and stop doctoring it up.  Many people will fail the surgery if they don't do what their doctor advised.

Best,

poet_kelly
on 10/9/11 8:28 am - OH
I do what my doctor advised AND I often doctor up my protein shakes.  My doctor said that was fine.  Certainly no one has to doctor their shakes up if they prefer not to, but doctoring up my shakes did not cause me to have many stalls (I had one).  Perhaps my weight loss would have been faster if I had only had protein shakes made with water, there's really no way to know that, I guess.  It took me about 18 months to get 18 pounds below goal, and that seemed fast enough for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kady
on 10/9/11 5:10 am - Lancaster County, PA
Chris- I think it was a liitle unfair of you to berate me for doctoring a protein shake and tell me I am going to FAIL. I am following my Dr and NUT's guidelines. I was told that adding skim milk to a protein powder is fine and a great way to get more protein. Heck, even the package of protein powder suggests mixing with water OR milk.

I am two and a half weeks post-op, and trying to find my groove.  I welcome friendly advice and suggestions, but your comment was not worded in such a way.  Next time, try re-reading your comment before posting and how would you have felt getting a response like that after only a couple weeks of being a post-op?  My doctor is pleased with my progress and as you can see, my weight loss ticker is going down, steadily. We are all on a journey here, and I think we all need support.

Ladytazz
on 10/9/11 10:16 am
You are doing fine.  I can tell you right now I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much protein as I needed if I only mixed it with water (although I am drinking some right now that was mixed with Crystal Light).  I added things like sugar free pudding and fruit as well as the sugar free syrups.  And 90% of the time I mix them with milk, sometimes with almond milk, coconut milk or soy milk.
Keep doing what you are doing.  You will be fine.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

AshGoodman
on 10/10/11 2:21 am - LA
I need to find some type of powder that I can tolerate!  I'm glad you found one that worked for you!  I know I'm not getting enough protein so I'm going to try and get a few sample packets of this and hopefully it works for me! 
Thank you!!
Nee000
on 10/11/11 6:06 am, edited 10/11/11 11:39 am - MI
Jay Robb is the bomb.  I'm hooked on Tropical Dream flavor.  I mix with 4 oz milk, water & splash of reduced cal orange juice.
Most Active