day before surgery question

RainDiva
on 10/9/11 7:02 am
Guys since I have to be on a liquid diet prior to surgery tomorrow is it the same as the 2 weeks after the operation. I mean like can i still drink decaf tea and coffee tomorrow, jello and popsicles. What did you guys do the day before surgery? How did you keep from being hungry.

LouLou7
on 10/9/11 7:09 am
I was on clear liquids up until midnight. After midnight, it was nothing to eat or drink. My surgery was first thing in the morning, and they don't want you to have anything at all in your stomach.

I wasn't hungry at all, too excited to think about food.

glzgowlass
on 10/9/11 7:15 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
poet_kelly
on 10/9/11 7:35 am - OH
Didn't your surgeon give you instructions?  Usually it's clear liquids, but you really should check with your doctor to be sure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/11 7:48 am
Don't drink ANYTHING after midnight because they can cancel your surgery if you do and if you don't it won't matter.  You don't want to vomit under anesthesia.
Emily F.
on 10/9/11 9:06 am
You mean day of surgery? You cannot eat or drink ANY thing. Stay busy. Hopefully your surgery is earlier. I took a sleeping pill the night before and slept in (doc okayed it).Mine was at noon, I believe.
LuckyTracy
on 10/9/11 11:06 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
My surgery wasn't until 6pm, I was allowed clear liquid up until noon the day of surgery.  I would definately check your instruction sheet and see what the doc wants.  You can also call the hospital and get instructions from them if you can't reach your doctor. 

I didn't eat/drink much because I know it is important to try and have your stomache as empty as possible, you don't want to throw up while under - that causes all kinds of problems.

Good luck to you, and don't worry when you wake up from the surgery you won't be hungry at all.  I was really surprised by this, but it took weeks for me to even really want to eat anything.

RainDiva
on 10/9/11 1:31 pm
I did get instructions I am on clear liqs day before surgery and Nothing after midnight tomorrow night. Instructions say clear liq diet but confused if I cam have skim milk like my post op says

DGilbody
on 10/9/11 1:39 pm - Fountain Valley, CA
No you cannot have anything after midnight.  You will be fine.  Just stay on clear liquids until the midnight time then go to bed.  You have to stay strong.  If you have food or liquid in your stomach you are risking getting sick with the use of anathesia.   Just hang in there.  You are about to start the next and greatest chapter of your life.

Good luck!!
Most Active