XP: How to live in a hotel for six weeks?

DebsGiz
on 10/9/11 8:49 am - FL

As the wife of a military retiree, I would suggest that you just roll with it.  Take one day at a time and enjoy the adventure!!

Believe it or not, once you retire, you're gonna miss it!! 
nightbird
on 10/9/11 12:29 pm - Bowie, MD
 Actually my husband retired from the Air Force three years ago...we work as civilians on base and this is our first civilian PCS. They pay for so much more for civilians.  We were in Los Angeles before we PCSed to Utah and we are really looking forward to getting back to a busy city.  

Thank you :)
ChristyTal
on 10/9/11 10:05 am
I would go to vrbo.com and try to rent a condo in your area. 

nightbird
on 10/9/11 12:30 pm - Bowie, MD
Thank you....we never thought of that!

Lisa
sfmini
on 10/9/11 11:37 am
Find one of those long term stay motels, they have kitchenttes so you can cook for yourself.
We do that when we go to the Miniature horse world championships in Texas because we are there for over a week. Really helps saving money when we can have our own food and the place we go to lets us have our dogs.

nightbird
on 10/9/11 12:33 pm - Bowie, MD
 Thank you....I have been looking for one.  I found a doggie day care that will keep our dogs at night since we both work long hours and the dogs would go nuts in a strange hotel with all the noises without us there.  The car is too small to take our kennels in the car...even broken down.  

The championship sounds really cool.  :)

Lisa 
NoMore B.
on 10/9/11 12:52 pm
 I travel every week on business and spend hundreds of nights a year in a hotel.  Definitely try to get something with a kitchen - like a Townplace Suites or Residence Inn, if you can.  It makes all the difference.

I would also sign up for Netflix, Hulu, something like that so you can watch what you want on your computer.

PS - Thank you for your service
nightbird
on 10/9/11 1:12 pm - Bowie, MD
 Thank you....we never even thought of signing up for Netflix or Hulu...we were resigning ourself to missing a lot of new shows in the transition...will miss our DVR.   

I really appreciate the advice...and the PS :)

Lisa
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/9/11 3:08 pm, edited 10/9/11 3:09 pm - Tuvalu

i'll tell you what we DIDN'T do...we didn't stay at one of those Extended Stay America places.  They're cheap enough...but it's a ROOM.  Just a room.  We moved to "corporate housing" for a month...there are websites, google "corporate housing"...and got a furnished one bedroom apartment.  It had a pool a rec room, quickie cheapo breakfast every morning.

Here's why.  I love him.  He loves me.  We've been married for decades.  If we had to live in one room for a month, homicide investigators would eventually be involved.  One can stay up a little longer, read a book, watch tv...the other one can go to bed.  You can watch two different tv shows in two different rooms at the same time...that kind of thing in an apartment.  Not so much in one room.

This chain is all over...
www.oakwood.com/

Most Active