XP: How to live in a hotel for six weeks?

nightbird
on 10/9/11 5:08 am - Bowie, MD
 Hi All

We need to live in a hotel for six weeks when we move to Maryland from Utah for a new position.  We received our orders to move to Ft. Meade last week and we move in two more weeks.  We have known for a little while we are moving but just received our orders.  We went house hunting last week and don't close on our house until Thanksgiving.  If you had to live in a hotel for a length of time, how did you do it...esp. for food?  I can't fit much in the car besides luggage and two large dogs.  

Thanks for the help and enjoy your day.

Lisa

Amber L.
on 10/9/11 5:12 am - Sweden
It's not WLS related, but as someone who used to travel for work and lived in hotels for up to 6 weeks at a time I will say, bring your own sheets and blankets. It will make it feel LESS like you're living in a hotel.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

nightbird
on 10/9/11 12:25 pm - Bowie, MD
 Thank you!  My  husband and I never thought of that.  We were thinking of bringing our crock pot but that is as far as we got.  

Great idea.

Lisa
hrford
on 10/9/11 6:09 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 See if you can get temporary housing at Andrews AFB.  They have real houses that are fully furnished with everything you need.  I'm unsure as to whether you have to be coming to Andrews but I don't think so as long as they have room.  Otherwise I'd try and stay at a suite that has some sort of small kitchenette.  It is very hard and expensive to live in a hotel for that long.  I've done my fair share of PCSing but I've never had to do longer than a week.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Elizabeth N.
on 10/9/11 6:46 am, edited 1/2/12 10:26 am - Burlington County, NJ

hrford
on 10/9/11 6:49 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 These are actual houses.  A whole street they have just for transition.  They are almost all 3 bedrooms and only 1200 sq feet but you get your own rooms, kitchen, you know a house.  It's not bad.

I stayed one night in army lodging in Germany, quickly transferred over to a efficiency apartment fully furnished.  MUCH nicer.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/9/11 2:56 pm - Tuvalu

Our first married PCS was to Ft. Campbell, KY.  The temp housing was tenement quality.  I went to the desk and mentioned the ****roaches and the lady said, "All you can do about those is NAME them."  I barfed the whole time...but I had the flu and was pregnant and didn't know it.  It was NOT a nice place.
Amber L.
on 10/9/11 10:27 pm - Sweden
That's Ft. Campbell for ya.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

nightbird
on 10/9/11 12:27 pm - Bowie, MD
 Thank you :)

This is our first civilian move...my husband retired from the Air Force a few years ago and we are both civilians on base now.  This is our first civilian move and they pay for so much more...including a hotel for up to two months and our closing costs for our house.  Our house won't be ready to close until the week of Thanksgiving but he starts work in Maryland in two weeks...we received our orders a week ago.  

Lisa
Elizabeth N.
on 10/9/11 6:44 am, edited 1/2/12 10:27 am - Burlington County, NJ

Most Active