Funny how things taste differently..

tamara55
on 10/11/11 7:23 am
When I was a few weeks post-op, I could NOT STAND the tartness of Bariatric Advantage Cherry Calcium Citrate tabs. I'd cringe like a baby eating a lemon. I also couldn't stand IsoPure and Click Espresso. Except for the Isopure - which I've yet to re-try - those items taste wonderful now. I think my body needed that time to reboot my taste buds and shake up my reaction to certain things, like too much salt. Those two weeks on liquid protein did a lot of good and I'd have no problem doing it again. Well, maybe some.

Anybody else have taste bud challenges?

glzgowlass
on 10/11/11 7:31 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
My taste's haven't changed at a month out, but it sounds like they could still change from what you say.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

BugdocMom
on 10/11/11 7:53 am - CA
Mine changed dramatically. Things seem to taste muted. I need LOTS of spice. I used to try foods I liked pre-op and be soooo disappointed that they didn't taste like I remembered (or even good for that matter). Now, I have to make a conscious effort to try NEW, unfamiliar foods just to find something I like. I have found that Asian and Cajun spices work best for me now.

My sense of smell is REALLY sharp now, too. And I find that things smell better than they taste. I would usually rather have a "sniff" of something yummy than a bite...
Barbara C.
on 10/11/11 7:54 am - Raleigh, NC

Apparently many people having any type of surgery have some 'change' in taste after anesthesia. Also some people have a change in taste as they go through ketosis when you are immediately after surgery and that goes away with time as well. The other thing that can change is your tolerance of the tastes of sweet, salt and fat because you've been weaned from them, so you may not tolerate them as well. Enjoy the freedom from the addiction from sweets, salts and fats.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

AnneGG
on 10/11/11 9:03 am
My taste changed a lot from pre to post surgery, but now it seems back to what it was.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

TXKashmir
on 10/11/11 1:11 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
I have a whole list of things I hated pre-op that I now like - and even love. It's so weird!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

butercup
on 10/11/11 2:58 pm - Kennewick, WA
Granted I'm not far out, but I haven't had any tastes change...yet anyway.
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 5:07 am
I love spicy now; couldn't stand it before.
I tire of things quicker; i.e. food phases.  One week I will eat something every day, like sunflower seeds or dark chocolate.  The next week, I could care less if I ever had it again.
Crystal Light is now too sweet, even in 32oz. of water.
Naughty carbs like chips and crackers are too dry and salty. 
I love coffee more than ever before!
Most Active