Does anyone find themselves eating or chewing on weird stuff

zphigirl1920
on 10/17/11 2:02 pm - Beltsville, MD
 I am chewing on leather and paper now.  I am 2.5 years out and have been doing this since about Feb 2011.  Is anyone doing stuff like this? 

Regards

You can do this. Stay positive.  Every day is a new day and a great day

Tre`
Keep Losing...weight that is!
Tre`Sina

cajungirl
on 10/17/11 2:06 pm
When were your last labs? Have your iron labs ran especially sounds like you may be anemic.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

k9ophile
on 10/17/11 2:14 pm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001538.htm

I agree with cajungirl.  Get some labwork drawn and tell your doctor what you're eating so the right tests  can be ordered. 

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/11 2:15 pm
What Dana said!! 

Chewing on odd things, usually ice, but can be other things is a sign of anemia.

You need all your labs relating to that checked..
Renfairewench
on 10/17/11 2:30 pm
I used to crave and eat boxes of raw pasta. I had my bloodwork checked just because and low and behold I was suffering from severe iron anemia.  It took thrice weekly iron infusions for about eight weeks to get my iron levels back to normal.  Around the 5th infusion I noticed that I didn't crave raw pasta anymore. I haven't eaten it since.

Pica, the urge to eat things not food related often is associated with iron anemia. Get your blood work checked and if you are indeed anemic get iron infusions.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/17/11 3:23 pm, edited 10/17/11 3:24 pm - Tuvalu

It's called "pica."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_%28disorder%29

ETA...you need medical attention to treat this...is is PROBABLY anemia...but it could be a zinc deficiency or something else.

AnneGG
on 10/18/11 1:20 am
I'm another vote for getting your labs checked. Are you getting them done regularly?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

MyLady Heidi
on 10/18/11 6:06 am
I like to eat lemons, I don't know if you think thats odd, I don't but everyone I know thinks it is.  I just happen to love lemon.  I was worried it was causing issues with my stomach and when I asked my doctor last year during a visit to the e.r., she said the only thing its ruining is my teeth.  And that is totally true.  The enamel was already bad not its even worse.  But I still can't give them up completely.
poet_kelly
on 10/18/11 11:17 am - OH
When did you last have labs done?  How was your iron, zinc, copper and selenium?  It is almost certainly a nutritional deficiency of some sort, possible a pretty severe one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active