Supplements

Lynn Brown
on 10/19/11 6:42 am
I am about 3 weeks out from having my surgery. I will find out tomorrow the exact date. I am having the band. All my material from the dietitian says that I need liquid/chewable vitamins and calcium but gives no suggestions. Not sure which vitamins I'll need to be on right away and which can wait until I can swallow whole pills. Any suggestions for reasonably priced vitamins? What has been your experience with the post-op nutrients. I'm trying to get everything in place before the surgery so I can just relax and recuperate afterward.

ICESTORM12132008
on 10/19/11 8:18 am
Can you call your practice and ask them what the staff recomends?

Centrum makes a multi for adults that is chewable and can be bought at any drugstore or walmart like chain. 

I'm in the process of getting my check list done prior to setting a surgical date myself. 

I did some looking online and i was given some samples from Bariactric advantage wich you can look up their site on the web.  UnJury also has a website but if your doctors and nutritionist say that a centrum chewable is fine I'd keep that in mind when you make your selections.
Watson
on 10/19/11 8:37 am, edited 10/19/11 8:56 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with
Hello Lynn Brown,

Everyone is different with the vitamins, but some what the same. Some might take the same vitamins and other takes different vitamins. Depends on your body needs. I take 2 Flintstones Complete chewable tablets & 1 Origin easy to swallow Vitamin B-12 500 mcg tablet a day. I think they are reasonably priced at Target. The Flintstones complete chewable is around $15.00 for a 150 count. For the Origin easy to swallow vitamin B-12 500 mcg is around $3.00 for a 100 count at Target. When I get my blood work done, my vitamins levels comes out normal every time I had blood work done since I had my VSG surgery in June of 2010. I wish you the best & luck for you Band surgery.
Lynn Brown
on 10/19/11 9:13 am
I didn't know Centrum had a chewable.  That is what I take now. I take a B complex now, also.  That is what the nut. said to take but haven't seen that in chewable. I'll have to widen my search to more stores. I think someone mentioned in another post that there are chewable calcium tablets, too.

I feel more anxiety over being prepared for after the surgery than preparing for the surgery!

glzgowlass
on 10/20/11 1:16 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
If you have to take a separate B12 vitamin then Trader Joe's do a good sub-lingual which you don't swallow.  I couldn't stomach the chewable centrum.  Liquid doesn't taste good but it's better (to me) than the chewable which just stuck to me teeth and left the taste in my mouth even longer.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

poet_kelly
on 10/19/11 11:43 am - OH
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says you need an ADULT multivitamin with 100% of the RDA of most things in it.  They say it should contain iron, selenium, copper, zinc. all those important minerals.  That means Flinststones is NOT suitable.  Gummy vitamins are not suitable either.  Centrum is OK but the chewable adult Centrum does not have any selenium so if you use that I would add some selenium as well.

The ASMBS says you need 1500 mg calcium CITRATE, not carbonate.  It's very hard to find chewable calcium citrate in stores.  You'll probably want to order online.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/19/11 12:22 pm - Plumerville, AR
www.vitalady.com
Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

Most Active