People judging us...

challie
on 10/25/11 7:15 am
I agree that family may have your best interests at heart, but we have both physical and mental health to protect.  If their behaviour is having a negative effect on mental health it is not acceptable, irrespective of whether or not they are trying to help.  If their comments make you feel like a failure it is not acceptable and they are not helping.

Let them know that people who suffered from obesity have to work at protecting both physical and mental health.  Our social environment, including our family and friends are constantly attacking our ability to manage our lives. This is something society often ignores and it does considerable damage to the esteem and persistence of the obese.

Jody W.
on 10/24/11 1:13 am - Windsor, CT
Stop listening to those negative voices... As hard as it may be.... STOP...
If you are not in therapy you may want to find a therapist that you vibe with and can help you work out any issues that you may be having...
IMHO....

No one can make you feel any way you dont allow!!!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

Sara L.
on 10/24/11 10:24 am
You could always bring up some of your friend's parents, the ones who seems to be aging so much better and more gracefully than your parents.  The one who looks 15 years younger than she or he really is! 

Turnabout is fair play.  Your parents can't do anything about the way they are aging, anymore than you can change the rate at which your body loses weight. 

You are not a failure!!  Come on!  Even if you didn't lose any more weight, look how far you have come!! 

There are going to be lots of people who can get down to 135, I will not be one of them.  I'm 5'8" and I have a very large Swedish frame, there isn't anything I can do about that.  

What's in a number anyway?  How are you feeling?  don't you feel much better than before?  Aren't you able to get out and do some exercise?  

Good luck with the parents!

Sara in Maui

Docj
on 10/24/11 11:58 am
Revision on 09/01/88
Take your power back.

As children, we had no choice when parents jumped our boundaries. Now, we do.

Learn about assertiveness and practice on them. Try saying, "When you ------------------, I feel ---------, and I need you to ------------------."

Don't get too attached to the outcome. Your parents may not change but you will learn to take care of yourself by setting a firm boundary and deciding what to do when they breach it (leaving, etc.).
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 1:30 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
My advice is to stop feeling like a failure before you become depressed and start trying to eat your way out of it.
Most Active