I don't want to call anyone out, but I need to know there is hope for me!

Katie K.
on 10/24/11 8:36 am - Windsor, Canada

I am 1 1/2 years post-op and unfortunately I have been through a really REALLY rough patch and gained 22lbs over an 8month period of time. 

I am seeking help for my (just recently diagnosed eating disorder and obviously maladaptive coping skills).  What I need to know is....IS it possible to jump back on the losing scale and actually hit goal weight despite having gained 20+ pounds?

So disappointed in myself.

Seht
on 10/24/11 8:38 am
Yes, but it starts with you.

You can do it, you have to believe you can and then begin to execute that change.
20 pounds is a small setback, don't let that define your success or failure.

Best wishes for you and your success.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MarilynT
on 10/24/11 8:48 am
Yep, you can do it. I have....TWICE! Catching it while it is 20 pounds is a lot easier than waiting until it's 50 or 100 or....

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Kathleen W.
on 10/24/11 9:28 am - Lancaster, PA
Use that disappointment into a learning experience for yourself.   You did it before and you can do it again.  Remember the basics of when you first had wls:get your protein in, make sure to  drink  all your fluids, take your vitamins, journal your food intake,  start excercising.  You have 2 advantages now that you didn't have in the beginning: 1) you know what you're up against with the eating disorder and learning how to cope with it, and 2) you have the experience  and knowledge of what to handle the problem.   You also have us to fall back on for support..  There's a lot of people who are struggling with the same problem and ARE WINNING  over the situation.  Thank God you caught it at 20 lbs and not let it go 50-100lbs. You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

DonnaCrosland
on 10/24/11 10:35 am - WA
I am not a big fan of Julian Michaels but her blog today was really good on how to tell if you are really hungry and what to do,.

Yes - you can go back to healthy eating - and "sleeve" eating.  It's a tough road but you have taken the first step - which is the hardest!

Keep at it!
Donna
AnneGG
on 10/24/11 11:26 am
Sorry about your rough patch- I sure hope for you that it's over!

Absolutely you can get back on the horse, one step at a time! Get support and get back to the basics- protein first, exercise, etc., etc...

It helps me to have someone I am accountable to- both my husband and a friend get my weight records, and I don't want them questioning me about it, so it keeps me on track. I also use OA, some people use Weigh****chers.

You CAN and WILL do this! Go for it and keep us posted!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

cpbryant
on 10/24/11 12:10 pm

I am in the same boat as you, I am 3 years post op and never obtained my goal weight, but did get down to a comfortable weight and knew I didn't have that much to go. I am now starting all over again, I went from 220 to 260 in the past year, so I gained a total of 40lbs back so far. We can both do it! Make sure you stay with support groups, especially with sites like these, that is why I am back!

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 12:27 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
While you are very smart to stay aware of your weight, please don't let it become your overall outlook, the way it was when we were all MO. You WILL have some regain. If you are not happy at this weight, examine your food intake and exercise, do your best and then forgive yourself if you are not a perfect achiever.

Regain is a fact.

Maybe your body is simply better at your present weight, and not the thinnest weight.

Love yourself; don't be defined by your weight.
M M
on 10/24/11 1:57 pm
Absolutely.

It's so very normal to gain weight -- I understand you've added some issues -- but this can happen to so many of us.

You can start slow and steady and cut out bits of those patterns as you are able.... it can work.
Renee2007
on 10/24/11 4:43 pm - Central, FL
 The best advice I can give is to go back to the basics like when you were a fresh post-op. Protein first and foremost. Cut the carbs drastically and up your fluid intake.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Most Active