How Do I choose between Lap Band & Lap GB???

Lisarn1
on 10/25/11 8:45 pm - Raleigh, NC
Truth be told, you need to carefully research all four surgical options, and then choose the one that fits best with you. I'm an RN and a diabetic. I chose RNY because I wanted some level of malabsorption, but felt that the DS was more than I wanted. Yes, there are complications that can arise. Lord knows I see it all the time. But those complications are not limited to patients who had lap band and RNY.

Again, the best way to know about your options is to research. Ask questions. Go to several informational seminars and speak to a variety of bariatric surgeons in your area.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Mary M.
on 10/26/11 10:54 am - MD
Thank you.  I do have Type II diabetes also but didn't mention it before...I figured the Celiac Disease and Thyroid Ablation were enough.  From what I have read in the responses I have received I am thinking RNY or Sleeve.  I am so afraid I will have trouble losing because of my Thyroid.  Even on medication my thyroid levels are still very low.  I was thinking the RNY would bypass the part of the intestine that is affected by Celiac Disease but I'm not completely sure this is how it works. 
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/26/11 11:19 am
With type 2 diabetes, I wouldn't consider anything but the DS, as it  has the best cure rate, and yes, they say cure, not remission as with the other types. 

Here are several articles from Pubmed about type 2 diabetes after DS, and I highly recommend reading all the articles and medical studies related to weight loss surgery there, since once you are cut it's too late.

MsBatt
on 10/26/11 1:22 pm
Celiac Disease also makes me think you'd be better off with the DS. The DS bypasses most of the part of the small intestine that reacts to gluten. I won't say it will cure it, but I've seen a LOT of people say it make their Celiac's much better.
Lisarn1
on 10/26/11 7:21 pm - Raleigh, NC
i have to agree with Bearmom and MsBatt about the DS in addressing your specific health issues. My point in my previous post was to encourage you to research and learn all you can about your surgical options. I hope you find an option that you will feel comfortable with. Whatever you decide, we are here to offer suuport as much as we can. Good luck.
Lisa 

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Elizabeth N.
on 10/26/11 12:51 am, edited 1/1/12 9:47 pm - Burlington County, NJ

Hislady
on 10/26/11 1:16 pm - Vancouver, WA

NO BAND!!!!!
Most Active