How Do I choose between Lap Band & Lap GB???

Mary M.
on 10/25/11 10:34 am - MD

Hi, I am driving myself crazy trying to make a decision between Lap Banding and Lap Gastric BP.  I have ninety to one hundred pounds to lose.  I've read about both and thought I would have more success with GBP but my daughter is a nurse and said they get a lot of patient's who come to the ER with complications after GBP and thinks Lap Banding is a better choice.  Any advise would be appreciated.  Also, is it normal to worry that after surgery you will not be able to control your hunger and stretch your stomach back out?  I'm excited, confused, scared and excited!!!  Help.........

meredith_123
on 10/25/11 10:43 am - Waterford, MI
Have you researched the other 2 surgeries, the sleeve & the DS?  Both are really great options. 
People post this very question on this board almost every day.  Go back and read these posts and you will find tons of great info. 
I have read way to many horror stories about the band.  Also it has the worst stats for weight loss, so not sure why anyone would pick that one.  It also has the highest complication rates and re-operation rates. 
Also go read the revision boards.  You will finds lots of people getting revisions for both of your options you are considering.  There is also a failed lab bands board on here you should join.  If that's what you want to choose, you need to know what you are getting yourself into. 

Good luck on choosing which surgery is right for you.  Make sure you research all your options before you pick a surgeon or a surgery.
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
AnneGG
on 10/25/11 10:45 am
Funny, I hear more about complications around the lap band. Though I do have 2 friends who have been successful with the band.

I'm very grateful for my RNY. It has worked well for me in getting the weight off. I'm maintaining now, and that is harder work than the weight loss period for me. But it is so worth it in terms of my health especially, but also how I look.

Please keep researching re: your choice- info groups, support groups, online sites, etc.

Good luck in making your choice!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

walter A.
on 10/25/11 10:45 am - lafayette, NJ
i choose neither, although i started looking at the band, i was referred to the DS, by a band doctor to his professor for the DS as it was the better choice for me even though i only had 60 lbs to loose.  see dsfacts.com  and the ds forum here for more info.  
the vsg is a better choice to the band than having a high maintenance chunk of plastic put in your gut.

Mary M.
on 10/25/11 11:14 am - MD
Thank you all for your replies.  I haven't read about the DS but I will.  I don't meet with the surgeon until Jan 13 so this will give me time to read more of the posts as suggested.  I have Celiac Disease and have had thyroid radioactive ablation so if anyone else has similar medical issues please let me know if either condition will interfere with any of the procedures.  Thank you again~
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/25/11 11:42 am
 I'm like the others here - no gastric bypass, and absolutely no band. I knew I needed surgery for years, but was dragging my feet, then learned about the DS and sleeve, and KNEW I'd found a surgery that I could live with, and be successful with. I was right.

You do need to know, that if your surgeon doesn't do the sleeve or the DS, they will not recommend them, and most only do band and RNY. It would be like the Toyota dealer telling you to leave their lot and go buy a Mercedes - not gonna happen. I recommend researching surgeries, then selecting a surgeon based on that.

I was approved for RNY, and changed my mind (and surgeon) at the last minute, but all the prerequisites were the same, so it all just transferred. 

USAF Wife
on 10/25/11 11:29 am
I wouldn't recommend a band to my worst enemy not only because of my horrific experience, but because of the statistical data that is out on the complications, and it being the least effective WLS out there. Personal stories are great, but research the stats and medical data. Regardless of which surgery you choose, they take diligence with food choices and behavior modification to deal with making the best choices for long term success.

I chose the VSG as my revision from the band because of very personal reasons and tons of research into what I wanted for the REST OF MY LIFE from a surgical option. There were some things I was not willing to live with because I know myself best. You have to choose what is best for you, and your lifestyle along with your medical history.

Here is my standard reply when people ask me why I chose VSG over RNY. If I would have needed the malabsorption, I would have chosen DS. Even with over 120lbs to lose, I still would not have a malabsorptive procedure. Not saying there is anything wrong, or the choice is bad, it is simply BAD for me and my life.

The VSG was my 2nd, and final WLS. I could have easily had RNY, but I fought to have VSG as my revision from the band. Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me. That was my thought process when I got the band, and I thought I could beat the odds on complications. Sadly, the band only lasted 8 months before I had to revise.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

I lost all my weight in my ticker with the exception of 7lbs with the sleeve, and I did it in 10.5 months. The 115lbs fell off the first 6.5 months, and then the rest I lost as I was getting into maintenance over another 4 months.. It's been a fabulous journey, and I'm easily maintaining with zero issues for nearly a year at this point. I want to add that every WLS regardless of your choice will require discipline. Only a percentage of RNY patients dump on sugar/fat, pouches and stomas stretch, then you have the medication restrictions. I'm not trying to convince you, but these were my concerns when I knew I had to revise from the band. I started at 263 the day of my revision and today I weigh 127lbs. I bounce on the scale 125-130lbs any given week, and I couldn't be more ecstatic!

Best wishes in your research!

P.S. I wrote this before pregnancy. And, just as an update,  I have zero issues consuming enough calories/protein/carbs to support my body and another developing human. My labs have remained stellar throughout the pregnancy, and life is pretty good. I am over 2 years out at this point, and couldn't be happier with my decision to have VSG over RNY for my revision. It's been an amazing journey.

P.S.S.
Since the pregnancy, I have been diagnosed with a genetic clotting disorder and the ONLY treatment (zero cure) is a daily aspirin therapy. With VSG, this treatment is possible, if I would have gone with RNY my doctors (surgeon, 2 ob's, PCM) are unsure how this condition would have been treated especially during the pregnancy. Grant it, I only take a baby aspirin every day of my life, but it is an NSAID. Least to say, when my high risk ob found out I had a partial gastrectomy and NOT RNY, he was elated because there really is zero other option for treatment at this point, and the aspirin therapy is working well with my platelets and if all goes as planned, I will be able to have an epidural for my c-section instead of having general anesthesia. Maybe a small issue to some, but being awake for the birth of my daughter is top priority for me.

As a very recent addition; as of 2 weeks ago my platelets have dropped, still functioning, but dropped to 70,000 which is below the standard for an epidural. So once again, I was facing general anesthesia. I was advised I would have to be given a steroid(dexamethasone or prednisone) to help get my platelet count up as they have dropped. If I would have had the RNY, this would NOT be possible, and pretty much general anesthesia would be required for the csection. We're looking at other options for delivery such as a spinal block instead of a full epidural, but the doctors are positive the steroids will get my numbers up. At any rate, if I would have chosen RNY, I would surely not be able to have steroids. Looking back, I can't tell you how grateful I am that I was able to choose VSG.  As of this week, my platelet count is up to 125,000 and I'm cleared with the anesthesia team for a spinal block for the delivery.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Mary M.
on 10/25/11 12:16 pm - MD
Thank you so much for all your information.  It made so much sense to me.  Good luck to you and I hope you have a great childbirth experience!
edeldog13
on 10/25/11 11:46 am - MO
Your question can be answered very quickly by reading posts on the Revision board. The Lap Band, in any form is not a positive choice based on statistics. Please research the Sleeve if you want just restriction. For restriction and malabsorption then definitely look at the DS. You should post your question on the revision board too. The people that had the Lap Band can give you the low down.
Best of luck with your research.
Krazydoglady
on 10/25/11 12:22 pm - FL
I chose neither.  I chose VSG, but if I was diabetic I would have gone with DS..  We are actually looking into sending my very diabetic but BMI of 26  husband either oversees or to one of the trials being done domestically for the malabsorptive portion, only, of DS in normal or mildly overweight diabetics.  VSG resolves diabetes most of the time, DS cures it. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active