Obesity Help Comes to LIPO

Maryellen R.
on 10/27/11 5:17 am - Sayville, NY

What a weekend!!!! 
In my opinion it, was filled with everything I anticipated, and of course, offered a few surprises. You, my LIPO family, made it a most memorable weekend. I was thankful for each of you attending and participating when and where your comfort level allowed. I have so many “memorable moments", times I never want to forget, that I am grateful for all the photos. I want to be able to recall the faces and expressions of you that “strutted your new you" down the runway. It made me proud to see members of our LIPOian family “pay if forward" by helping the OH team organize and execute the entire event; Ivy working at the registration table, Gina stuffing name tag holders, Giovanna stocking the main room tables and so much more. Thank you for helping make OH glad to visit LIPO Nation!

As Frank and I stood before you to present ourselves Saturday afternoon, I could not help but feel the pressure, the desire to do well. On one hand I was especially nervous knowing that, of the 150 plus attendees, so many of you were in the audience that I care about deeply, I had to do well. I wanted the words to flow so that you could feel our support and depth of caring we feel for each of you. On the other hand, I wanted to allow the others to know that we are a tightly knit group of LIPOians that support each other through holistic mutual motivation.  The subsequent positive feedback leads me to believe that we were heard. Thank You.

The costume party gave us an opportunity to relax and mingle; giving me the opportunity to feel the fun you were having, to meet some wonderful new friends, and visit with past acquaintances. Once again the photos will help me remember those moments. A thought kept going through my mind though, that although many dressed in different costumes, for many, this weekend was a public presentation of our new “physical costume", which our surgery has allowed us to have. All the hard work after surgery continues to give us the benefit of healthier bodies and we must commit daily to maintain our new lifestyle.

Another, very important, component of the conference was education. Even though this was my fifth OH conference I am always open to learn new information and look forward to sharing those knowledge nuggets at our next support group meetings. The other informational seed I harvested, while seated as member of the Q&A panel, was the ABSOLUTE necessity to continue to reinforce oft ignored “facts". Two come to mind as I write this:

1. Regain is expected! Mostly with the by-pass procedure, MOST patients regain 10-15% of the weight lost after reaching our lowest weight. Like most that I speak with, I am going to fight my hardest to be in the small minority and not regain; however, I refuse to feel that I am loser if I don’t. It is fact: Regain is medically expected.

2. Daily vitamin supplementation is a lifelong commitment. Regular blood work analysis is a requirement so that adjustments can be made. We must identify our deficiencies and adjust our supplements accordingly. Typically iron deficiency doesn’t become an issue before 30 months post-op or later. By this time, the honeymoon period is over and we may have become complacent. Have a complete Bariatric blood work-up at least once per year, for the rest of your life.

“Sexy in the City" was a great and memorable experience and I repeat my heartfelt gratitude to Obesity Help for sponsoring this event, inviting me to represent LIPO as a motivational speaker and panel member; but most of all, I thank my LIPO family for joining me to create these “never to be forgotten" memories.

(((HUGS)))

Maryellen

Maryellen
To visit LIPO (Long Island Post Ops) bariatric support group website click here: www.liponation.org

"WLS is a journey, not a destination (don't get comfortable) ... it's a road that we must travel daily to succeed".  Faith Thomas

visit my blog at theessenceofmaryellen.com/

So Blessed!
on 10/27/11 5:34 am

1. Regain is expected! Mostly with the by-pass procedure, MOST patients regain 10-15% of the weight lost after reaching our lowest weight.

Thank you so much for that.  You have no idea how much it means to me to read it. 

I've been struggling with losing that exact amount of regain.  I managed to get back into the 150s, but I've been stuck going up and down the same 2 or 3 pounds for the past several weeks. 

I'm wondering if this is going to be my new "normal" 7 years out.  Part of me wants to accept that this is what I will weigh.  Part of me feels I'll be a failure if I quit trying. 

sigh...
Father Don
on 10/27/11 10:35 am - Charleston, SC
I would also like to thank all the non-LIPO people and other Support Group Leaders from various states that assisted in many areas to make this a successful conference.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

martitalinda
on 10/27/11 10:36 pm
 I too thank ALL the non-LIPO people .... and I loved loved loved the beautiful bride and groom and the awesome love story that was shared with us on the fashion show runway ... LOVE.. what a beautiful ending to the fashion show.... it was such great pleasure to meet you again and now with your beautiful bride... I LOVE LOVE LOVE the father and the nun costumes too....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

M M
on 10/27/11 11:04 pm
Maryellen R.
on 10/29/11 5:38 am - Sayville, NY
  Don & Angel..... I absolutely agree with you, and my Blog was not meant to slight anyone. I am sincerely grateful for the efforts of all involved for making an event like this successful and have expressed that in other forums since last Sunday.
Maryellen
To visit LIPO (Long Island Post Ops) bariatric support group website click here: www.liponation.org

"WLS is a journey, not a destination (don't get comfortable) ... it's a road that we must travel daily to succeed".  Faith Thomas

Maryellen R.
on 10/29/11 5:49 am - Sayville, NY
 You are NOT alone in sharing those thoughts.....I cannot tell you how many post ops feel like they are a failure and were never told about this.

Here is one of my very favorite quotes by a fellow OHer......

"WLS is a journey not a destination, don't get comfortable, it is a road we must travel daily to succeed".

-- Faith Thomas

I hope this helps you....keep in touch and always remember that 
ACCOUNTABILITY+SUPPORT=SUCCESS!!!!!

Maryellen

Amy Smith
on 10/27/11 12:36 pm
And I want to thank ALL of you!  I was trying to describe the weekend to my friends at home and all I could say was that I have been to many conferences (teaching, union work, etc.), but NEVER have I been with a group of more accepting people.  I have been struggling these pasted couple of weeks feeling like I was doing everything I am supposed to be doing (not nutritionally or anything, but helping others), but I didn't know what to do.  I attend 2 support groups, but I have to say your talk (w/ Frank) really gave me some ideas of how I can support people and take the support groups I attend to a new level simply by hanging out and doing things b/c we can.  Thanks so much!  I am still trying to figure out what I am supposed to do when I grow up (i loe teaching, but there is something more for me.)!:-)

Thanks for a fantastic week full of education AND inspiration AND new friendships!

Amy (other wise now know as Annie, or Sandy's Mom)  BTW - how true about the costume meet n greet, I have never felt so comfortable in a room of strangers!
martitalinda
on 10/27/11 10:42 pm
 AMY YOU STOLE THE SHOW ... you most definitely did ... I too have been describing the event to my friends and my family they keep asking and I keep on trying ...I felt embraced and experienced total acceptance of all those who I met ... I had such a wonderful time ... and I have a special place in my heart for our beautiful Annie...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Maryellen R.
on 10/29/11 5:41 am - Sayville, NY
 Hi Amy,

I'm so glad to hear that Frank and my presentation gave you some ideas, PLEASE feel free to keep in touch and let me know if I can assist you in any way.

Best of luck to you!

Maryellen

Most Active