Flabby skin after the weight is off...

lesserman
on 11/1/11 6:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Hey, everyone!

Haven't been here in a while but since I am now starting the classes and will have a surgery date for early 2012 (JAN or FEB) soon, I wanted to ask the following question:

How does one manage the flabby skin once the excess weight has been lost?

In my case, it will be mostly around my midsection and my chest. I won't deny that the cosmetic appearance is a concern, but equally, what are the health risks from NOT having it removed surgically?

Thanks in advance.
poet_kelly
on 11/1/11 6:51 pm - OH
Not many health risks.  Sometimes people get rashes or even infections underneath large amounts of loose skin, especially the stomach skin.  If that's a problem and medications or skin cream doesn't clear it up, insurance will usually pay for the skin to be removed.

Have it removed is really all you can do about it.  Or just leave it alone.  I'm not having any removed.  I don't feel mine is that bad and it's not causing me any problems.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lesserman
on 11/1/11 7:09 pm - Chicago, IL
Thanks so much for the response!

As per the expectation that 60% of the excess weight will be lost over the 1 to 1.5 years post surgery, approx 100 lbs of weight loss is reasonable, for me.

Given my frame, that could be a lot...then again, maybe not...it IS a concern that I will raise with my team, but if you or anyone else knows of someone in rougly the same ballpark as me and also provide some insight in addition to yours, it would be most appreciated.
poet_kelly
on 11/1/11 7:22 pm - OH
Now look what you did, you made me do math!

60% of my excess weight would have been only 78 pounds.  However, I actually lost 115% of my excess weight.  I lost 150 pounds, which put me 20 pounds below goal.

I have some flab on my belly and some flab under my arms but if I have clothes on it's not very noticable.  

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Elizabeth N.
on 11/1/11 11:41 pm, edited 1/1/12 9:10 am - Burlington County, NJ

shepkatt
on 11/1/11 11:41 pm - Coronado, CA

Having loose skin is not a for sure thing.  I lost 120lbs and I don't have any sagging skin.. It's a little jello-y in places but no overhanging/flapping skin.  This is one of those areas that is good to think about - but not stress about.  Everyone is different and you may get to your goal and not have any issues at all.. 

If it does become a problem.. Support garments are awesome..  They make them for men and women and will help to manage any jiggling/sagging issues you might have until you get to a point where you are done losing and can assess at that time.

:-)

~lynnda

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 3:06 am
I lost 118.5# (=110% of my excess weight) and have come to the following conclusions about my skin~
Plastic surgery would be about $7000.00 out of pocket to correct the worst of it--insurance would remove the panni but the tightening of muscles and lipo are extra; My thighs could use a little lipo and my batwings could be fixed.  That's a lot of money for relatively minor issues.
Comparatively, though, I am not as bad off as someone who lost 200 pounds.  What I notice most are the crepey folds--on my neck, legs, and bottom, especially.  I don't have rashes and my panni does not protrude from my pants.  A little Spanx could take me far but, to date, I have not even bothered with that.
I am mildly self-conscious about my arms but the painful surgery and scarring issues scare me into submission.  I can live with it.  Mostly it means that tank tops and short shorts are not good looks for me, but let's be honest, it is not a good look for most 39 year olds.
The worst problem for me is shaving as those folds can get caught in the razor.  It hurts and is an infection risk~
Most Active