Gastric Bypass and Diabetes

MsJello
on 11/17/11 2:44 am
I posted a little pre-op of my daughter's upcoming GB surgery, 17 months ago. She had the surgery in June, 2010.
I just wanted to let those that are diabetic who are considering gastric bypass surgery that I thank GOD every day that my daughter is no longer a diabetic. Her latest numbers is glucose 84 and AiC is 5.7.  She has had her AiC as high as 13.  Her cholesterol was well over 250 and now it is 180.  Her Blood pressure is NORMAL.  No more Coreg or Lisiniprol.

She is holding at 135lbs and about 10 lbs of this is flab on the upper arms and flab hanging from her abdomen......She still has some diabetic neuopathy in her feet but her pulses are very good in her feet.  Her gait is a bit off but all in all this surgery was a total success. 

Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Mama Rose
Kathy S.
on 11/17/11 2:53 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I too no longer take meds for diabetes and my blood sugar stays under 100.  

Take care,
Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

martitalinda
on 11/17/11 3:11 am
 Awesome news!!!! I have been off Glucovance 500 mg twice daily since the night before my surgery 4 years and 9 months ago ...and off Zetia and Toprol XL and never ever had to use a Cpap since .. I have had all normal readings since surgery...

I am soooooooooo happy for your daughter and for you! CONGRATS! 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

walter A.
on 11/17/11 6:48 am - lafayette, NJ
HI,MARTITALINDA, glad your doing well, noted your dd had a bad time there for a bit, thats over now?   the ds put my diabetes in remission too, as im at goal a1c down to 4.25.  
martitalinda
on 11/17/11 7:00 am
 ((((((((((((((((((((WALTER)))))))))))))))))))))!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW AWESOME TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHH I am soooooooooooooooo happy for you!!! I knew you got your awesome DS you fought so hard for and are rocking it! CONGRATULATIONS ... Yup my DD had a bad time for a spell...what a scare .. however she is in remission now and doing well... she has to remain on meds long term for the polymyositis ... thanks so much for asking ... you are an awesome guy and what pleasure I had meeting you IRL...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

LindaScrip
on 11/17/11 3:48 am
I can tell you when I had my surgery I was released and taken off my diabetes meds and did quite well.  glad I dd this.
mkbeany
on 11/17/11 5:09 am
Never had to take Metformin again after my release from the hospital following my RNY.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
carlacc
on 11/17/11 8:02 am - Walkerton, IN
My type 2 left a month after ReunY but at 2.5 yrs returned with a vengance. be carefull. you still have to watch what you eat.
Carlacc

Live Today, and Dream of Tomorrow

littleskie
on 11/17/11 8:48 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
Technically she is still diabetic. The surgery resolved it. She is still considered diabetic but diet controlled. This is a very important thing to remember in case she ever has to go to the er or any trip to the dr.

I was on two types of medicine before surgery and my sugars were still out of control. Day of surgery I actually needed a shot of insulin. It was the only one I have ever gotten in my life. After that i've had pristine blood sugars. My fasting sugars are usually around 90. I watch what I eat and I eat low carb. Works great for me. I was 450 and I got down to 183.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

fradcliff
on 11/18/11 4:17 am
DS on 01/25/11 with
TO, "Littleskie"
       I would like to very politely disagree with your comment that technically she is still a Diabetic. That would be like telling everyone on this board that Technically we are all still "OBESE" but that our surgery has put us in remission. We all understand that we cannot eat high carb foods.  Anyone can get Type 2 Diabetes over eating and eating a high carb diet, so does that mean that everyone in the world technically is a Diabetic?? 
  It sounds to me that Mama Rose is a Faith believer and she believes that her daughter is healed from Diabetes with the help of WLS and Gods divine power. I also believe that as I am totally off all Diabetic meds and once had sugar readings of over 200 and A1c of 12+, I was taking the equivalent of 700 units of insulin a day at the beginning of January and have not taken any since July 13th "I AM NO LONGER A DIABETIC" Thank You God!! Congratulations to Mama Rose's daughter on her success and I pray that she continues to do well. Praise God!!

Most Active