Something to think about...

sweetiemimi318
on 11/20/11 12:58 am - Irving, TX
RNY on 08/22/16
I asked about a surgeon to get more information on him. I notice alot of people ask other's advice on certain surgeons. Then I got to thinking. We all want advice but truth is in the end the decision would still be based solely upon you. Fact is there isn't a doctor out there that doesn't have a bad story somewhere in their doctoral history. Every story isn't going to be peachy keen. I have never heard of a surgeon with a 100% no complications ever. So we are bound to hear negative comments from someone. I appreciate the negative comments, but you know what... At the end of the negative comment it would be nice to hear.. But I support you. You have to make the best decision for you. Some people fail to realize everyone doesn't have insurance. Everyone can't get loans. We have to go where our money will take us. If the surgeon have had some negative feedback, you can atleast pray the next person have a successful surgery and don't go through any complications. Truth is, everyday I feel bits and pieces of me slipping away because of my weight. I have been researching this surgery for the past 10 years. Money has been the only issue. Now that I have a little money and trying to raise the rest, I have to try. So I am thankful for all the negative comments and positive comments, but in the end remember we are all here to support each other. Thanks

Mimi J
Terri Ott Norris
on 11/20/11 1:15 am - Livermore, CA
RNY on 07/18/17
Mimi-
First let me say- GOD BE WITH YOU!!  
I looked thru your profile and I am so touched.  You continue to make the "Climb" with any obstacle you encounter, I admire and love that!!

I will keep you in my prayers-Our God Is An Awesome God.......you are in good hands. 

On His Wings.....
Terri.

Have a Blessed Day....

BLOG: www.sweattodaysmiletomorrowcom.wordpress.com

Judi J.
on 11/20/11 1:29 am - MN
I don't know anything about the surgeon you have chosen but the thing is, we've seen people die around here by choosing surgeons who are cheaper who people here KNOW have had issues.  So, sometimes support is encouraging you to continue to look for a different surgeon.

I wish you the best.
sweetiemimi318
on 11/20/11 1:37 am - Irving, TX
RNY on 08/22/16
Hi Thank you so much. I appreciate everyone on here, because they don't have to share their journies and lives but they do. They are encouraging in more ways than they will ever know. I chose Dr. Joya because I was hearing so many great things about him, and my family was trying to help me raise the rest of the money I needed. I wish there was another surgeon I could go to within the states but I can't raise or afford that kind of money. I know that any surgery is dangerous but I felt as if I have to try. This weight is killing me. I don't have medicaid or any insurance so it is hard for me to keep my diabetic medicine, high blood pressure medicine, and I can't even afford the sleeping machine I need at nights. If this weight being on me is killing me day by day, then I feel that I can atleast try this surgery. Atleast I know if any complications arise, I died trying. I can't give up. I want to do the little things that alot of people that aren't overweight sometimes take for granted. I want to walk without my back being in agonizing pain. I want to ride a bike. I want to fit in a bathtub instead of sitting on it. I want to let a towel fit around me. I want to cross my legs. I want to fit comfortably in a car. I want to go to an amusement park and fit on the rides. I want to go to college. I want to do so many things, and I can't as long as this weight is holding me down. I thank you so much for the encouragement and everyone else who has gave me information on Dr. Joya. I know it is because you guys are concerned you give me the information. But this is my only option... God bless
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 1:34 am
i know the story of dr joya & the woman's recent horrible experience with her lapband.   

as sensitive as i can be, there are other dr's in mexico that don't have this man's reputation & will likely fit within your budget.
one thing to consider is you get what you pay for & cheap maybe just that.   don't you want better?

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 1:36 am
Mimi,

While I appreciate what you are saying, the people here are not being negative towards you, they are trying to warn you about a mediocre (at best) surgeon.

Sure, every surgeon has had a bad outcome but when it happens repeatedly there is something wrong.

I understand about the money issues but in the end, how much is your life worth to you??

There are some good, even excellent sleeve surgeons in Mexico, they might be a little more money but they are worth it.

I, in good conscience, cannot support someone going to a surgeon with that many bad outcomes.

I support you, but not your choice of surgeons!

Good luck!
Michele
sweetiemimi318
on 11/20/11 1:43 am, edited 11/20/11 1:43 am - Irving, TX
RNY on 08/22/16
Hi there. I know they aren't being negative towards me. I appreciate every comment whether it is negative or positive. I appreciate they don't say things just because they think it is what I want to hear. I really do thank everyone. My life is worth more to me than anything. I just want to be able to be around long enough to enjoy it, to live it. I am going to research some more surgeons and see what I can find. If you know of any or hear of any please let me know. Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 2:49 am
This guy is a sleeve surgeon, I don't know if he does RNY, you will have to look into that.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/4457843/Dr-Albert-A ceves/

OR get the sleeve now and save for the full DS which has better statistics for African-Americans.
It would be cheaper (I think) than the RNY to get a sleeve and you could save up rather quickly as you would already have a start, money-wise.  Something to think about.

Dr. Aceeves has many satisfied patients and I also recommend him because he has been learning the DS by proctoring under an excellent Mexican DS surgeon, Dr. Ungson.

HTH,
Michele
loretta cowels
on 11/20/11 3:06 am - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
i dont know for sure but there is a doctor he trains other doctors to do the ryn etc he has a new precedure hes doing on people and i wonder since hes only done a few and hes a good surgeon if hed do it at discounts because they are trying to see how well it is doing theve done 1000 in ohio but its still new hes a excelent surgery and the new surgery was named after him if youd like to talk with him to find out if he will help you email me and ill give you his info loretta
MsBatt
on 11/20/11 1:42 am
It's true that no surgeon out there can guarantee that YOUR surgery will go perfecty, and that they all have complications now and then.

That said---you really do need to comsider the per centages. Good surgeons have complications---just not nearly as often as bad surgeons do.

Not everyone has insurance, and not everyone can get a medical loan---but that does NOT mean you "have to go where our money will take us". Choosing a surgeon based solely on price is a good way to wind up owing for a funeral.

I'm not familiar with youor surgeon, or what he charges. I do know you can get a DS from Dr. Gilberto Ungson in Mexico for around 16K, and Dr. Ungson is a world-class surgeon. (I also strongly urge you to get a DS---given your BMI, it's really the only form of WLS you should be considerng.)

www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-gilberto-u ngson/
Most Active