bleeding ulcer! what to eat??

ssciolino
on 12/5/11 9:54 am - Webster, NY
I have had three episodes of black stools since my RNY surgery in June 2008.  Finally diagnosed with bleeding ulcer.  Now controlled by medication.   I met with a dietitian on what foods to avoid.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Thank you.
  "Life is a succession of lessons which much be lived to be understood"  Helen Keller      
Dave Chambers
on 12/3/11 12:37 am - Mira Loma, CA
It can happen. One man in one of my support groups last month announced he had this issue. He's about 18 months post op, and appears to be the "poster man" for RNY surgery. Follows protocol closely, exercise, takes supplements, does labs, etc.  He announced he was getting ready for the previous month support group meeting and noted black stools. He called his doc, and was told to get to the ER.  I think he said he had a mild blood transfusion, and was in the hospital for 2 days. He's on medication now, and doesn't need any surgery.  So in 30 days since his "black stool episode" he says he'd doing fine with the medication and no further issues.  He did state that he had one idea as to the cause. He doesn't drink alcohol at all and does not smoke. BUT, he loves citrus fruits, eating 8 or so oranges daily. He said he also likes the grapefruit style Crystal Lite drinks. So, his opinion was that he may have OD'd on citrus.  Early out, warning about acidic or high citrus juices should be avoided.  He claimed he'd drind 2 gallons of the grapefruit or the ruby form of Crystal Lite daily during summer months.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

ssciolino
on 12/5/11 8:58 am - Webster, NY
thank you, Dave.  2 GALLONS of Crystal lite in one day??  My eyeballs would be floating!    I DO avoid citrus foods because they never agreed with me, even before my surgery.  Stel
  "Life is a succession of lessons which much be lived to be understood"  Helen Keller      
Most Active