11 days pre op....scared as hell I'm gonna get sick! any tips for staying germ and flu free!

ollieboysladybird
on 12/7/11 10:52 am - Canada
It's flu season and I am scared to leave my home. Its also the holidays and everyone goes to see everyone...I don't know what to do....I get sick at this time every year and am scared I'm gonna get sick and then this 3 weeks of opti will be a waste and I damn well will NOT do it again! It's ****e!

Any tips for me other than hand sanitizer and washing hands frequently??
k9ophile
on 12/7/11 10:57 am, edited 12/7/11 11:01 am
     OR    .  Hand hygeine is good and these should take care of the air borne germs. So what if you look like a dork?  It's better  than repeating the 3 weeks of Opti, right?  Good luck.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

ollieboysladybird
on 12/7/11 11:03 am - Canada
Ya I was talking to the receptionist at the CPap clinic about it yesterday and she gave me a couple of masks to wear while I take transit if I have to.

I think I'll just bear the humiliation and just wear it...it will be worth it in the long run

thanks!
Sarah

RNY
Surgery Date: December 19th 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

k9ophile
on 12/7/11 11:22 am
So cool that you got some freebies!   To save your hands from all the harshness of washing,  you could get some cheapo latex gloves.  Most pharmacies sell them.  I say all is fair in love, war, and illness prevention.  I guess that could be called germ warfare 

Public transportaion has to be a cesspool of icky things.  Living in a rural area has mixed blessings: no public transportation and gas is $$$, but all the germs in my car are mine.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Mary Catherine
on 12/7/11 11:32 am
 The germs grow in the nose and throat.  One of the smartest things you can do is get a Neti pot and solution and use it every day.  There is a place at the base of the throat that cannot be reached any other way.  Germs get in there and cause a lot infection.  Using the Neti pot keeps that area clean.
DebsGiz
on 12/7/11 7:37 pm - FL

Get your flu shot, keep your hands clean and sanitized, and away from your face.  I think the rest is based upon pure luck because I don't think there really is a way to totally avoid coming in contact with germs that can potentially make us sick. 

Saying this as I'm sitting here fighting a damn cold and losing... 

Arrrghhh, I hate being sick.  And I hate it even worse when I cannot crawl back into bed but must, instead, go into the office and be miserable. 

Whine over...
So Blessed!
on 12/8/11 5:16 am
On December 8, 2011 at 3:37 AM Pacific Time, DebsGiz wrote:

Get your flu shot, keep your hands clean and sanitized, and away from your face.  I think the rest is based upon pure luck because I don't think there really is a way to totally avoid coming in contact with germs that can potentially make us sick. 

Saying this as I'm sitting here fighting a damn cold and losing... 

Arrrghhh, I hate being sick.  And I hate it even worse when I cannot crawl back into bed but must, instead, go into the office and be miserable. 

Whine over...

I hate getting sick.   Hope you get better soon. 

The other night, just before the cashier at Kroger started ringing me up, she sneezed. 
Into her hand.    I could just imagine the cooties crawling on my milk carton after she handled it. 

It might violate some kind of food safety thing, but I could not bring myself to put any of my stuff away until I wiped it down with hand sanitizer.  
DebsGiz
on 12/8/11 9:37 am - FL

Thanks for the sympathy as I really needed someone to care.

I was just dragging my sick butt to bed, thinking nobody cares that I'm sick.  Everybody just wants me to stay away from them so they don't catch it.  Even my hubby...

I'm was so sad about it that I was almost ready to cry because I just feel so horrid that I wanted to feel like someone cares that I am sick, and you did.  So, thank you.

I'm now going to go crawl between the sheets and pass out.
Most Active