Trying to decide on if i truly would like to do this....

leslie.b.3
on 12/8/11 4:48 am
My name is Leslie. I am 23 years old and weigh 295. About 2 years ago my mom and dad were really wanting me to get the surgery to fix my weight because if I didnt do something I was going to die. About 2 - 2.5 years ago I weighed 307lbs. I worked with a personal trainer and was able to get down 30lbs. I ended up stuck and my weight wouldnt go down any more. I have now gained back almost 20lbs.

I am now considering the surgery. However, i am very scared! I am also not too sure where to go. I have gone to many seminars and I have narrowed my options to the program at St. Mary Mercy Livonia (Michigan) or St. John Providence Park (Michigan).

Can anyone give me any information on either of these programs? What advice would you give to someone like me who is considering it, but it sooooooo scared about doing it?

Right not between the two programs I would end up doing this right before or right after Christmas this year.....so any help/advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Valerie G.
on 12/8/11 5:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
One of the scariest parts of wls is the fear of the unknown.  To help put you a little at ease, start learning all you can about the different procedures to choose from, moreso than the overall hospital programs.  Consider your own weight and diet history and lack of results.  You sound like me, with the most drastic efforts going with little or no results.  I selected the duodenal switch to give my body the giant kick in the pants that it needed, completely altering my metabolism, which is what it needed even more than just eating less, which I could already do like a champ.  Once I fully understood what I was doing, and selecting the procedure myself, and knowing what to expect next, much of the fear went away and I felt more in control.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Emily F.
on 12/8/11 5:20 am
Hi. Welcome to OH. The best thing for you to do is to research all 4 surgeries and THEN pick a surgeon based on what surgery you want. Bc not all surgeons do all the surgeries much less do them well.

I felt I needed malabsorption and restriction so I chose duodenal switch. You can learn more on dsfacts.com.

I also recommend to all people interested to go to the revision forum and read what problems generally people are having from what surgeries.

I really caution you from deciding to have surgery in the next month when you haven't decided on a surgery. Do not rush this. Research and research well. This is your one body. Think twice, cut once.
Elizabeth N.
on 12/8/11 5:27 am, edited 12/30/11 8:41 am - Burlington County, NJ

leslie.b.3
on 12/8/11 5:48 am
 Yes I have done lots of research over the past few years. I have chosen to do the VSG. I chose to do this one for so many reasons. Mainly the reason of having no to less malabsorption 
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 12/8/11 6:00 am

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Valerie G.
on 12/9/11 4:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Okay, so you've said already that you lose very little despite your best dieting efforts.  Why do you think that a restrictive procedure like the VSG is going to give you any different results than if you diet and exercise today?  All it does is help you to eat less.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

leslie.b.3
on 12/9/11 4:54 am
Thanks for ur help.
MsBatt
on 12/10/11 2:57 am
On December 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM Pacific Time, leslie.b.3 wrote:
Thanks for ur help.
I can't tell whether you meant this reply to Val to be snarky or not, but she makes a very good point. The sort of diet history you describe indicates that you have a highly-efficient metabolism that's capable of hanging on to calories VERY well. The VSG isn't going to change that---all it's going to do is limit the amount you can eat at one sitting. It won't stop you from grazing, or making poor food choices.

You give one of your reasons for choosing the VSG as "Mainly the reason of having no to less malabsorption." In truth, the VSG has NO 'useful' malabsorption (meaning that some Sleevers do malabsorb protein because it's not being properly broken down in the stomach.) For someone who's managed to get to 295 by the tender age of 23, the malabsorption of the DS is potentially a very GOOD thing---I urge you to research further.

Whatever you decide to do is going to affect you for the rest of your life. Don't rush into anything. Read the Revision board, look at long-term studies, actuallly talk with people who've been living with their form of WLS for five years or more. (You won't find very many of them on the VSG board.)

Miss_Kitty
on 12/8/11 6:24 am - New Bedford, MA
Any kind of surgery can be very frightfull. I haven't had this done, but the lap band procedure might be a good choice because they don't actually cut your stomach, and it is adjustable, or even removeable if you don't like it at all.

That's what I have heard, anyway......if I am wrong, I am sorry. Try going on the lap band forum.....they would be able to give you more accurate info.

Good luck!

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

Most Active