Protein Shakes and Vitamins

tamou37
on 12/14/11 3:09 am - Toronto/Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hi, when did you start  your protein shakes and what vitamins have been recommended by your doctor. Thanks
Sara L.
on 12/14/11 4:55 am
My surgeon has his patients on a pre-op liver shrinking diet.  My bmi was 40, so I only had to do it for a week prior to my surgery.  That is when I started the protein shakes.  I ordered a ton of samples from vitalady.com and also tried some from my local stores.  I probably tried 25 different kinds and ended up with only 5 I could tolerate.  I used Unjury chicken soup every day that week!  I also like Unjury unflavored mixed in soup, oatmeal, or with other flavorings in a shake with milk and ice.  My favorites are Jay Robb Chocolate mixed with Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino, blended with skim milk and ice.  I also occasionally use Jay Rob Strawberry blended with skim milk and frozen berries.
You will have to figure out what works for you, it's challenging at first for sure! 
As for vitamins, I take Bariatric Advantage brand chewable multis (one twice a day), Bariatric Advantage brand iron and B12 (one each once per day), Bariatric Advantage calcium chews (5 or 6 per day, spaced out throughout the day), I also take a vitamin D3 from vitalady (once per day).
There is a listing on this website for the suggested vitamin plan....use the search function in the upper right hand corner to search vitamin stuff....every surgeon is different in what they require after surgery.
Good luck to you with your surgery!
Sara in Maui

M M
on 12/14/11 7:09 am

Shakes -- as soon as you're allowed -- 24/48 hours post operatively.

Vitamins -- Bariatric Advantage Chewable, Celebrate Bariatric Supplements Chewable, Building Blocks Chewable... or liquid vitamins.  My doctor recommended children's vitamins.  Do not.

Stage 2 of a sample Bariatric Gastric Bypass Diet - Eating Plan - Modified Full Liquids

Always default to your bariatric surgeon and nutritionist's post surgical eating plans, however, when in need of a reminder, there are various plans online that you can fall back on like this sample one adapted from Duke Health --

Stage 2: Modified Full Liquids

Starting on the day you go home from the hospital, you should drink two ounces, (60 ml), or 1/4 cup of a high-protein liquid nutrition supplement every hour, on the hour, while you are awake. This must be a nutritionally complete liquid that would pass through a standard strainer.

In addition to the nutritionally complete liquid, you should strive to consume two ounces of non-carbonated, non-caffeinated, low- or no-calorie liquid every 15 minutes after the hour for a total of eight fluid ounces each hour.

Your first priority is to drink enough fluid to prevent dehydration; protein is a secondary priority. You should drink a total of six to eight cups of fluid each day to avoid getting dehydrated.

It is not uncommon to feel a sensation of fullness from liquids after surgery. This sensation may limit your ability or desire to take the goal volumes in the first several days after surgery. As you progress from surgery you should find it easier to meet the daily goals.

For best tolerance, do not use straws, take small sips, and start with room temperature liquids.

The liquid-only diet is prescribed for three weeks. Please do not start solid foods until your three week follow up visit with your surgeon and dietitian.

Sample Meal Schedule

8:00 a.m. -- 2 oz. High Protein Liquid Nutrition Supplement or Meal Replacement
8:15 a.m. -- 2 oz. water
8:30 a.m. -- 2 oz. broth
8:45 a.m. -- 2 oz. diluted juice

Choose a high protein liquid nutrition supplement with no more than 15-20 grams of sugar and at least 13 grams of protein in an eight ounce serving.

Protein

Protein is essential to aid in healing and maintaining muscle mass after weight loss surgery. It may also help avoid (but not necessarily prevent) hair loss associated with rapid weight loss. Try to consume at least 40-60 grams of protein per day.

Examples of Stage 2: Modified Full Liquids

High-protein liquids:

• No sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast and skim or 1 percent milk
  • Eight ounces skim milk with 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder (16 total grams of protein)
  • Boost High Protein or Ensure High Protein, available at grocery stores
  • Whey or soy protein
  • EAS high protein drinks
  • Ensure or Boost (Glucerna or Boost Glucose Control), available at grocery stores
  • Isopure, available at nutrition specialty stores

Low-calorie liquids:

• Water
  • Crystal Light
  • Sugar-free Kool-Aid/Wyler’s drink mix
  • Unsweetened decaffeinated tea
  • Decaffeinated coffee
  • Clear juice diluted 50/50 with water
  • Fruit2O
  • Broth
  • Sugar-free popsicles
  • Propel Fitness Water

Duke Health

Follow-up with your surgeon as your plan requires.

Most Active