Surgery wars

codlover
on 12/19/11 12:43 pm - Celina, OH
I miss them ?????

Well maybe not so much !!!!
Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/11 12:50 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
ROFLOL!!!

Me, too, NOT!!
Nic M
on 12/19/11 1:15 pm
There sure are going to be a lot of people who miss out on valuable information, though. It doesn't seem that people research nearly enough before making a huge, life changing (and sometimes life threatening) decision.

The "surgery wars" really did impart a lot of information, whether people like the way the information was presented or not. I think there's going to be a real dearth of valuable information from people who have lived with their particular surgeries now that a lot of people have found greener pastures.

I really think that sometimes people confuse honesty with lack of support. I'd rather have an honest conversation and learn something than play nice and come away as dumb as ever. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

codlover
on 12/19/11 5:25 pm - Celina, OH
Nicci

I agree about the lack of research...

My biggest problem with the wars is that they are like someone needing a ride on a long trip....3 or 4 people (surgeries) stop to offer a ride. The 4 people fight among themselves about who offers the better ride...end result, they forget about the person needing the ride and leave them standing on the curb scratching their head ?????
Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
thevike
on 12/20/11 12:05 am

I have the same problem, doctors all promoting their own "thing". Has anyone ever heard of or found a counseling service that takes one through the decision-making process, i.e., whether or not to have surgery, which surgery to have, helping with the insurance packet? I've gone to a couple of information sessions that medical practices give, but they seem to be promoting/selling their own particular surgery. And I met with a therapist, but she had no experience with weight problems, weight loss, weight loss surgery, so she had difficulty really understanding what I'm going through. The message boards are helpful, but they are really more about the other person's experience, which is helpful, but I'm looking for a professional to bring me through this process. Any suggestions?

MsBatt
on 12/22/11 1:01 am, edited 12/19/11 6:31 pm
My sugestion is that you, personally, research EVERYTHING.

Info sessions are good, but as you've observed, everyone wants to 'sell' you whatever product or service they can provide. Therefore, I suggest you consult with those who offer all four forms of WLS. Read the forums for them all, and the Revision forum as well. Read scientific, peer-reviewed studies about all four forms, and studies that compare and contrast them.

Edited because my new keyboard leaves out letters. (*grin*)

He who can't be Named
on 12/20/11 3:45 am
 No one knows your strengths and limitations better than you, and you are wise to see that surgeons are just salesmen. 

Look at the different surgeries, and see what would work best with your lifestyle. Then find a good surgeon that does that surgery. I wish I'd been like you and researched more before I had my first surgery, which is why I'm now hoping for a second. 

I'm going to follow what the previous poster said, and go find that web site.
Nic M
on 12/20/11 12:56 am
It's crazy how little research some people do. I mean, to the point where they have NO idea where their stomach is located. So, while they might not love the way information is given, they're gonna learn it, anyhoo!   

I used to really stink at math in school. I hated having to hear anything about it because I knew I was dreadful at it. But I had to take the classes, anyway. And the more I heard and read and listened, the more information sunk in. Now, I'm certainly no math whiz today, but I'm better than I was... because the information sunk in. But, man, I hated it at the time! 

I actually considered  the "surgery wars" a more "guerilla" approach to imparting information... but the key is that it DID impart information, whether people liked the style or not. With a site this size, there are always going to be people who are more blunt. I try to be as diplomatic as I can!  

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/11 9:30 pm
 Thats a great  analogy !!  
Amy D.
on 12/19/11 10:03 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
This should totally be the title of a reality show. I think it'd be a hit! I mean, you've got all the things people love to see--fat people, surgery, and several type A people not getting along!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Most Active