Why am I Here

Davo
on 12/29/11 9:25 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 My Insurance company gives my the intitial approval for six months of weight monitoring by doctor. So in addtion to discussing this with my pcp I meet the surgeon.  Just the surgeon, no dietician, no exercise coach just the surgeon.  He sees me for going on three months.  The first month I am on a track record of losing 35 pounds following my diet.  He says that diets no good I should buy his diet which is another liquiid diet.   No obligation to do anything and no instruction to do anything or lose anything.  Next month I am up 3 pounds he says great job see you next month..  Next month (Thanks giving, vacation trip and three birthdays) I am up 7.  (same rountine I have had last 30 years he says maybe he shouldnt do surgery,  If you would buy my diet plan you would be fine (it cost 350 a month of which I dont have).  Insurance company calls and asks why we have not submitted for approval.  I told them the six month is not up the case manager said thats fine submit now there is no need to wait any longer.  I email the doctors office, the manager, rather than submitting for preauthorization I get to hear how he will speak with me in two weeks to discuss my treatment plan.  We are in the 4th month of working together and he now wants to discuss things.  The insurance company is asking me to submit and they are delaying things so we can chat about my treatment.  Very frustrating. Makes me wonder why I am going in for weightloss surgery when doctor asks why I am struggling losing weight.
Medley411
on 12/29/11 9:37 am
I would call your insurance company and requests a new provider. Time to get a second opinion. This is rediculous. Since your insurance company is recieptive, talk with them and let them know what type of issues you are having.
Good luck! If they cant keep this going before, what is your after care going to be like?

Sharyn S.
on 12/29/11 9:39 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Sounds like you need a new surgeon.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

clpeltz
on 12/29/11 9:40 am
Are you going for a revision?  If so, what kind of revision?  Who is your surgeon?  Sounds to me like it is time for a new surgeon.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

subacloud
on 12/29/11 9:40 am
I would want to see another doctor, if for no other reason but to get a second opinion.  I saw the nutritionist and exercise physicologist more than the doctor prior to my surgery.  I also was given a pyschological evaluation.  Nobody ever tried to hawk any kind of diet plan.  I was given free samples occasionally. 

I recommend you find a surgeon that you are completely comfortable with because you will be seeing him a lot.  Be certain you can live with this person. 

Best wishes!

Subacloud               408/318/208/135   (HW/SW/CW/GW)

Speak and do not keep silent.   

MutteringDuck
on 12/29/11 9:41 am - CT
 is it possible to find a new surgeon?  i know that starting over with someone new stinks, but it sounds like the doc you're using is pretty interested in promoting his own agenda & not much else...
BWB
on 12/29/11 10:06 am
 I think it is unethical for him to push his liquid diet.  I wouldn' trust him to do my surgery.  I would drive a hundred miles to get to a new surgeon.  How far is the nearest University med center?  That's where I would go.  Ask to have your records transfered and hopefully it will count for your requirements.  

Davo
on 12/29/11 10:19 am - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
No this is my RNY surgery not a revision and I am in the process of getting the ok for other surgeons.  The surgeon told me if he had his way he would make all his patients lose 100 pounds before suergery to lower the risks.  I asked if anyone ever did that he said no but they would if they followed his diet plan. I dont mind waiting a month or two three if I know I have final approval which seems likely since the insurance company is calling me and telling me to submit now theres no need to wait.  I expected to set some reasonable goals and meet a group of medical professionals to educate and have some empathy through the process.  Instead i got my ass chewed and he threatened to not do the sugery if I did not change my attitude.  He has spent a total of 8 minutes with me over a 4 month period.  Our sessions are less than two minutes and I have not seen a dietician.  I was starting to wonder if this is how all the wls surgeons are.  I appreciate the feedback.   
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 12/29/11 11:24 am
RNY on 01/10/12
 That's NOTHING like my experience.  You definitely need a new doc.  But I'm confused...your profile says you had RNY in 2007.  Is that a mistake?
Davo
on 12/29/11 9:00 pm - WI
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 In 2007 I was packed up and ready to go have surgery.  One day before the insurance company called the surgeon and surgery was cancelled due to a filing error.  Surgery should have been listed as an exclusion.  I guess I never changed my profie.
Most Active