What's your routine?

taller_tales
on 12/31/11 5:13 am - MA
Saw my doctor on Tuesday and was given the all clear to 'do as much physical activity as I can.'

So I want examples of what you do to work out. What's your weekly routine?

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/11 5:20 am
 daily run ..lots  of  walking ....swimming when the  temp in the backyard pool is high enough .   I DO take  bikini everywhere though ,, so I swim on business....  In Houston , in Florida  .....   and i do wall pushups and situps  every day WHEREVER I go ..  
taller_tales
on 12/31/11 5:33 am - MA
I love swimming and I'm definitely going to do that as much as I can. Not sure if I can do a run yet though. Thanks for the reply.

Libby0218
on 12/31/11 5:24 am - TX
I work out on the elliptical for about 40 minutes a day for five days a week. I'm just nine weeks out so we'll see if this is a successful strategy.
taller_tales
on 12/31/11 5:32 am - MA
Especially what people are doing early out is helpful. I feel a lot stronger now than I did before surgery and I can sprint short distances without dying afterwards, but I'm not confident in doing crazy five hour routines yet.

kathkeb
on 12/31/11 5:32 am
What I do today is different from what I did right after my surgery.

Back then, I alternated walking 3 miles with working on the elliptical.

When I started on the elliptical, I could barely do 5 minutes....so, each week I aded one more song on my iPod until I had worked up to an hour 3 times a week. Then I walked on the alternate days.

I did light weight work (bixep and tricep work) on the days I walked.

When I got down to about 200 pounds, I aded in some running using the C25K program.
Kath

taller_tales
on 12/31/11 5:42 am - MA
Thanks for the reply. I keep seeing all these crazy hard workouts on the fitness page and forget that those people are a lot farther out than me. This is helpful. Especially the ipod tip.

AnneGG
on 12/31/11 5:54 am
I was walking 2 miles a day until surgery. After that my surgeon kept pushing me to do more. I growled at him each time but followed through with increasing my time and distance little bit by little *****allenging myself to do a little more each day, walking 5-6 days out of 7. I also joined a gym, and started working with a personal trainer there, again growling each time I was encouraged to do more. I got fitness and Zumba DVDs for home.

My commitment was and still is to do an hour of exercise 5-6 days a week- I find it simply essential, and I have the same negative thoughts that I ever did. I just don't listen to them.

Now I can run 80% walk 20% five miles within an hour. Who, me???? At age 60?

Whatever you do, just do it with a plan and consistently, challenging yourself to keep stretching past your comfort zone a little bit at a time.

Go for it!!! Have a thinner, lighter, healthier New Year!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

taller_tales
on 12/31/11 6:51 am - MA
Good advice. Thanks. A little afraid I won't be doing enough since the doctor didn't give me any parameters, so gauging by comments like yours is very helpful.

Bettisima
on 12/31/11 8:22 am
There is also an exercise and fitness forum, that has a lot of great folks who are very committed to fitness and a daily activity accountability thread.

If you are interested in running, you could google couch 2K. It's an 8 week program to get folks from the couch to running. You can repeat weeks as needed.

The other thing you will need to do is some kind of weight training. At least one day upper body, one day lower body and then get some core workout in there as well.

The goalie to find something you enjoy and will keep doing it. Try classes that interest you. The only way to fail, is to not try at all.

Best of luck
Most Active