My PCP's office sucks!

PkSteph
on 1/5/12 9:52 am
I went to see my doctor on Tuesday about my blood pressure and to get a letter of medical necessity to take with me to my consultation next week.   The doc said she'd have it ready for my at the end of the day, but, I said I'd come back and pick it up in a few days. 

So, I go to the office.  The office staff looked lost when I go up there and ask if it was ready.  lol  *deer in headlights*  I should have known... it's always like that if you ask a qustion.

Now I remember why I decided to just stay and use the clinic as pill pusher.  Got a rash.. here's a pill. Need to lose weight... here's a pill... ugh...

Am I being impatient and pushy to expect them to know what's going on?  You'd think there'd be a note in my patients notes or something.  

Sorry.. I guess I don't have a question... just need to vent!

kathkeb
on 1/5/12 11:34 am
Depending on how they do (or outsource) their medical records, it could take a few days to get things documented in a way that office staff can find it.

My PCP has an assistant that I always call and tell that I am coming in to pick up paperwork -- I ask to have it placed into an envelope with my name on it and I ask the name of the person who is going to be responsible for it ----- they have hundreds of patients to keep track of, I have one.
Kath

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/5/12 6:58 pm - Burleson, TX

The doc said she'd have it ready for my at the end of the day, but, I said I'd come back and pick it up in a few days

Ok-let look at your sentence and let me show you where I think you made your first mistake. Never say "I'll pick it up in a few days" I guarantee you your doc had every "good intention, but when you said THOSE words, the doc thought "whew..I have some time", then the chart got put on a desk stack/covered up/forgotten...Your second mistake was not calling ahead, before you made the trip over there. I've been a nurse 30+ years, and do know how these mistakes/oversights can happen

Also-and PLEASE do not take this as a "bash" or "flame"--but you can't let these get to you-and NEVER let ANY medical office know you think they "SUCK". These people are holding your timeline in their hands. They can become your best friends, or your worst enemies, and a whole lot of that is up to YOU. Is it a pain in the ass for people to lose your stuff? Say they faxed, it for 3rd time, when you know they didn't? ABSOLUTELY!! But you suck it up, make the Office Mgr your new best friend, and carry on, until you get waht you want/need..then you never have to go back

Always vent HERE-just don't do it at any medical offices-that already frustrated staff will remember you-and your paperwork will be that much slower-or possibly "incorrect"...just sayin'...

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

PkSteph
on 1/6/12 12:03 am
It looks like she forgot about it all together. (I called and asked and got to talk to one of the other doctors.)  There's something good and bad about a clinic setup. There are 3 doctors and a nurse practitioner that rotate shifts. So if you get sick or need something like this you'll never see the same person unless you happen to go at the same day of the month.... but, you also get to hear a different opinion... sometimes conflicting.

I know you weren't flaming me... and, I'm not the type of person to yell at anyone or cause a scene (exact opposite of my husband who has yelled at waiters/waitresses, doctors, whoever.) I usually am too patient with people (I drive a school bus... believe me, it's been tested haha).

Oh well, I just needed to vent.  
At least they have someone who can draw blood now.  Last year they had a lady who had to stick me 7 times with a needle.  She could only get it out of my hand in trickles.  Strange... I've been diagnosed hypothryoid for years and have never had "vein problems".    

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/6/12 5:57 am - Burleson, TX

A bus driver???? Oh honey, I take it all back--you have the PATIENCE of a saint, then..lol...I could NEVER be a bus driver!!!!

I honestly DO understand your frustration with the doc office, though. I jumped thru so, so many hoops, back in the day, getting everything and every scrap of paper in line. Once you DO get your 'letters'-you might to semd them certified, so you'll have the PROOF you need, when someone says they "lost" them..just a lil advice. Hopefully you won't have too many more snags

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Tenacious88
on 1/6/12 1:35 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: I feel your pain. I have three patients to deal with myself, my mom and my daughter. Many, many times the same thing has happened to me. I've called the doctors office asking for some paperwork and they would say, yes its ready come pick it up, but when i get there no one can locate my papers. Some may say, well the office is very busy and you're not the only patient, so wait. My answer to that is incompetency, just not caring about your time.
But having said all of that, I have to agree with Gina it's best not to rock the boat with the office help, because they can make your life a living hell next time you need something. Be polite, get what you need, and then find a new doctor. Happy hunting. 
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/12 6:46 am - GA
I understand your frustration, I had similar problem with my PCP, it went on for over a month. The letter of medical necessity was the last item that the surgeons office needed to submit to my insurance.

I even made two appointments with PCP and he keep telling me he would do it and it just never got done.  So it was recommended to me to type up the letter and take to PCPs office.
I hand carried it to PCP waited for it to be signed, then took it to Surgeons office.  I was approved the following day.  I never went back to that PCP. Got a new PCP after surgery.

Be persistent, it will work out. 
Most Active