Anyone in Kentucky and have Medicare

melissa H.
on 1/9/12 6:32 am - KY
What were your requirements? What doctor did you have...etc...
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 1/8/12 10:15 am
Medicare is a federal program so requirements do not differ from state to state.  Most docs accept Medicare.  Find a surgeon with lots of experience, great outcomes, practices in a good hospital.

I went to medicare.com and found this:

You need a BMI of 35 or more
one comorbidity (diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea)
You must use a "Center of Excellence" - Most large hospitals are especially if they are a teaching hospital.  It will be on their website.

See more here:

http://www.medicare.com/services-and-procedures/bariatric-we ight-loss-surgery.html?ht=

Winnie

vwelsh
on 1/9/12 8:20 pm, edited 1/9/12 8:20 pm - Hudson, KY
I don't have medicare, but I'm in Kentucky and I'm going through Norton's Bariatric Weight Management Center in Louisville.  Dr. Jeffrey Allen is who I am meeting with today regarding my RnY.  I'm hoping I'll get some of my pre-op testing scheduled before I leave.  I really like the folks there.  Don't know where you are in KY, but this facility is a Center of Excellence and Dr. Allen has been voted the best by his peers.  I know there is also Bluegrass Bariatric that operates both in Louisville and Elizabethtown.  Don't know if ithey're a center of excellence, tho.  I need revision surgery, and they won't do revisions.  I believe both places accept medicare. Hope this helps.
Most Active