Fat is NOT contagious !

sarah_durso
on 1/17/12 9:32 am
I was looking at some military related articles and saw a link that caught my eye. It said, Why are so many military wives so disgustingly fat?  Curiosity got me and I hit the link. So many people were bashing military wives . Calling us fat slobs , unworthy to be a associated with the military.  I  wish I could tell these people just how hard it is.  It's not easy being the only parent at home, then on top of that worry your husband will be KIA. Yes, for me food was a friend.  When you have no friends to turn to it's easy to turn to Ben & Jerry.  Sorry just venting. I already feel self conscious being a fat Marine wife. Now even more. Some of the other wives try to avoid eye Contact like my fats contagious. They think they are so much better than me.  I know it's not so. If I were thin, they wouldn't be my friends. I honestly hope that every ill hearted person against obese people will at one point be fat themselves.  
ladyhoneybee6
on 1/17/12 9:37 am
RNY on 01/30/12
Dont let them get next to you.i know how it feels to be judge snd people want even look your way because you are overweight.it hurts because you are a person with feelings .i hope you find peace on that.there always be hater.
I
nccarolinagirl
on 1/17/12 9:53 am - Liberty, NC
People have no idea what it takes to be a military wife.
Different people do different things when stressed. I fed my pain.
I feel blessed with the decision I made about the surgery. 11 yrs out and I didnt gain back but 15 lbs and Im working on loosing that now with the basics of the pouch rules for dummies. I log into myfitnesspal.com and log everything that goes in my mouth. Im back at starting over but I plan to be proud as my son walks across graduation stage this summer.
That is my goal.
Chin up kiddo~
k9ophile
on 1/17/12 10:33 am
In what august publication was this drivel published?  If it was some rag that routinely bashes the military, it would by its very nature, extend that bashing to family members.  As an active duty member of the military, some of my best friends were the wives of my co-workers.  Let's face it, a woman needs her girlfriends.  Yes, other active duty women were friends as well, yet I got invited to Tupperware parties, baby showers, and such by the wives. 

Just one time I got upset, but it wasn't the fault of the wives; it was policy.  I called the infirmary to schedule my annual pap & pelvic exam.  I was asked if I was a dependent or active duty. I asked what was the difference.  I was told dependents were given priority.  While I fully understood that GIs can serve better when they are not worried about the health of their families, I very much believed active duty should get priority.  I raised a stink and the policy was changed.

You sacrifice your career to be a GI wife and your family life can be chaotic with all the moves.  I don't imagine it's much fun being a "single" parent when your spouse is deployed to a remote site or goes TDY.  I say, phooey on those who would put you down because of your weight.  For what it's worth, I respect military wives...as long as active duty females get priory at the infirmary

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

sarah_durso
on 1/17/12 11:47 am
 I was actually a military wife who wrote it. Under her statement there were several more "dependents" talking crap about all the fat wives.  I can't believe that active dutyy wouldn't get priority at OBGYN. Absolutly crazy. I'm lucky enough to go out in town to do everything medical. 
P_B
on 1/17/12 11:11 am - Norfolk, VA
Seriously understand where your coming from, as a navy wife we are considered the fatest of the fat supposedly. And the assumption that we all just sit at home, popping out kids and sleeping with other men while our husbands are gone. Same **** different person saying it. But I'm here to prove their assumptions wrong!

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/12 12:19 pm
Frankly, this is shameful...and to think that any other military wife could have the nerve to shun you for being overweight when they of all people should understand the pain of being apart from your husband for long periods of time not knowing his status! Im not even a military wife (or wife of any sort unfortunately) and I can empathize with that! You know what I say? Success is the BEST revenge! I hope you hit your goal and strut your stuff in front of those beatches! You dont have to be a fat person to realize deep down the courage and tenacity it must take to lose a lot of weight...not to mention half of them probably have hidden coping mechanisms themselves. Put them to shame....they might not show it but deep down, theyll be feeling it! 
MyLady Heidi
on 1/17/12 12:33 pm
 Being judged always sucks no matter what, I am sorry you have to experience it.  I get the nasty looks now because of how I like to dress with high heeled boots and tight jeans, but **** them all for being ******** that think they have the right to judge.
littleskie
on 1/18/12 12:06 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I grew up in a military family. I was always told you don't want to eat that because it'll make you get fat and then you will never find a husband.

It's terrible the way the military looks at women, much less obese women. When I wanted to join the military, long ago, the only branch that would consider me was the marine corp and only if I lost weight. Frustrating for me.

I gained weight thru the years to reach 450 lbs. Then I got my surgery. Now i'm way to old and too big to join the military. Even if they'd take me with RNY, which they won't. Both my sons joined and told me what it's like. They were more accepting with women who were plus size, having been raised by a mother who was 5X at the time. My oldest son married a woman who is actually larger than I am now. I'm a size 16 and she is a 22. She is a wonderful woman and is expecting my first granchild. A Boy.

The military is very cliqish. Like high school in a lot of ways. I'm so glad I never joined but glad my sons did. They learned a lot about the world while there. Now they are home and are learning to live their lives.

Thanks to everyone who has ever served in the military!!! Your sacrifice has been not only noticed but appreciate. As well as the sacrifice your family has made!!!!

Thank you all!!!!

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Most Active