awfully alot of gas

Lila B.
on 1/17/12 10:42 am - ND
I am almost 4 wks out from RNY and am doing amazing great.  The only issue i have is toxic gas!  eewww:(    Does gas pills or beano help with that?  Any suggestions would be apprieciated!
Thanks
Lila

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/12 11:04 am, edited 1/16/12 11:05 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
First, try eliminating sugar alcohols from your food intake. So many people think that sugar-free is OK (and it is, kinda) but the sweetner is the artificial stuff (anything ending with the "OL" such as malitol, sorbitol, etc.), and that causes horrible Deadly Gas.

So if you can cut down on that by using Stevia or something like that, it will help.

Also, use GasX, and try Beano or Devrom. Beano makes me feel too uncomfortable, but Devrom is good for eliminating the stink, although the gas still happens. Devrom is available online. I use it 4 chewable tablets at a time, and it really helps.

Good luck!
Mary Catherine
on 1/17/12 11:21 am
 If you are taking a chewable vitamin, check that for sugar alcohols.  Also the sugar-free candies, pudding, popsicles, protein powders, so many things can have sugar alcohols and cause so much gas.  Beano, gas-x, etc are all helpful.  If you are using milk, lactose intolerance is common after surgery.  Switch to Lactaid.
(deactivated member)
on 1/17/12 1:52 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
"Reading Labels"--definitely the first line of defense!
walterswife
on 1/17/12 2:55 pm
Lynn said just what I was going to say.  One additional thing is that even at 2 years out, I still have the problem.  Last Friday I got caught up and had left my lunch and snacks in the car.  I went from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. without eating.  Friday night and Saturday were terrible.  It has gotten better now but I am still having issues.  Moral of the story for me is to eat regularly but even with that the gas does occur.

Hope it gets better.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

jenfasano
on 1/19/12 8:29 am - CT
ok so I have been posting same thing, way to much gas but its to the point when i take a bite of something that it makes me burp so bad i get sick and cant eat anymore.  Are you saying the less you eat the more gas you will have?  I am barely eating anything because its so frustrating that everything i do eat makes me burp so bad i get sick.  I tried beno and gas x strips and it doesnt really seem to help me.  If you have any suggestions it would be awesome.

thanks jen
walterswife
on 1/20/12 9:56 am
Jen what you are describing when you mention burping sounds more like reflux or acid indigestion than gas.  I take a Pepcid AC every morning.  My doc recomends it for 3 months after surgery.  However, I still take them because of another meication I am on.

Speak to your doc.  If you are interested in trying Pepcid, generic forms are available at Costco an Sams at a minimal cost.

Hope you see some improvement.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Valerie G.
on 1/18/12 4:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 My money is on something you're eating....

Milk or lactose
Artificial Sweeteners
Protein powder (probably has milk and artificial sweeteners)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active