X-Post, Thoughts on 9-mo anniversary w/ pics

Jenny C.
on 1/28/12 9:15 am
  Hi all!
Today is the 9-month anniversary of my surgery & thought I'd share some of my experiences.

I hit my original goal of 150 lbs on Christmas, and have lost 4 more, so now at 146.  Just today I revised  my goal down to 140.  Not sure where I'll actually stop, but I don't think I'm quite done losing.  I am 5' 5.5" and my highest ever weight was 244 in 2001.

Exercise thoughts:  I am a pretty athletic person, and I bike to work daily (and had since 2005) plus do a 20-mile ride once a week with about 2000 ft of elevation gain.  In addition, my surgeon's group provides 2 years of nutrition and fitness counseling.  I do strength training at home every other day, including push-ups, some weights, lots of core work, plus a stretching routine.  I have really seen great results.  My muscles are in the best shape ever since about age 15.  I'm almost 52, so everything besides muscles are surely in much worse shape. 
I do think my activity level is a huge part of my success.

Food:  Eating post-sleeve is going along well for me.  I do focus on protein and vegetables, but I also eat stuff like pizza on occasion.  I don't drink any soda at all.  I don't have a dieting mentality at all.  I try to make healthy food choices, get in my protein and water, make sure I get several servings of vegetables a day.  Sometimes I eat snack foods, but usually the healthier options.  I've upped calories and fats to slow my weight loss.

Clothing:  My favorite part!!!  I went to Value Village with my husband about 4 days after my surgery and bought some things to shrink into.  I am now so totally addicted.  I have only bought about 4 new things, everything else I've gotten at V.V., and I have a great wardrobe now.  Size 8 pants and medium tops.  I used to wear black pants & shoes with different tops to work all the time, and now my wardrobe has a little black and a LOT of other stuff.  It did mean that I had to buy more shoes...including boots!!  BTW, all underthings and shoes bought new, but I'm sure I've saved myself at least $1000 on the clothing I've bought.  I didn't wear pants with zippers for about 20 years, and being comfortable in pants without an elastic waist seems like a miracle. 

I love my sleeve, and I'm grateful to be normal weight (BMI 23.9) again.

Good luck & great success to everyone!
Jenny

2 weeks before surgery, night before starting pre-op diet:

Today 

Ladytazz
on 1/28/12 9:25 am
How are you 52?  You look great!

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

martitalinda
on 1/29/12 12:50 am
 You look absolutely FABULOUS .... I remembered the picture you shared a few months back with your progress .. WOW ... you looked fabulous then and even in your before... Congratulations ... what an AWESOME transformation and you are just beautiful!!!! I love love love before and afters ... they are so encouraging arent' they?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Jenny C.
on 1/29/12 1:59 am
 Thank you so much for the kind comments!  I'm in awe of everyone's success & happy to have my brothers and sisters here at OH.  Martitia, I do love before & afters--yours are wonderful and have been an inspiration to me!

Most Active