Insaids

Gloria-Caryl
on 2/4/12 3:59 am
Tell me what medicines have this in them. Can I mash up my old pain meds now that I'm six mo.'s out from RNY? They are hyrocodone. can I take prilosic for my stomach? Why can 't we have insaids???
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/12 4:04 am
There is a higher risk of developing ulcers after RNY surgery.

Patients who use non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) such as ibuprofen, Aleve®, etc., and smokers have a even higher incidence of ulcers.

For this reason, patients are instructed to avoid the use on all anti-inflammatory medications containing ibuprofen (i.e. Advil®, Nuprin®, Haltran®, Midol®,
 Motrin®, Aleve®, etc.) after surgery and for life. 
Generic User_Name
on 2/4/12 4:06 am
 Surely, your surgeon told you all this PRIOR to surgery?

Dave Chambers
on 2/4/12 4:58 am - Mira Loma, CA

Advil, aspirin, many sripts have Nsaids in them. These are notorious for causing bleeding ulcers. Ths same is true of many who over indulge in alcholic beverages, and is true for virtually all people *****sort to smoking past their surgery date.  I know at least 3 people in my support groups who have gone through numerous ulcer surgeries due to these factors. Prescription for Prilosec is given to all of my surgeon's patients for at least 3 months post op. Pain meds are notorious for causing constipation, and that alone will happen without pain meds.  I've taken this for years for severe headaches.  I've wrestled with a decision for years and finally decided to do it. 2 weeks ago I got my medical marijuana card in CA.  I now use a topical cannabis infused ointment which alleviates about 85% of my headach issues.  I now only take 1/3 of my scripts for headaches.  This has almost 100% alleviated any constipation issues for me.   I also used a cannabis edible lozenge that I take an hour before bedtime.  I know get 7 hours sleep most nights, whereas I'd only get 4 to 5 hours sleep with sleeping pills before.  I'm not advocating this as a cure for everyone, but it's an option that seems to work well for me.  Good luck on your journey. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

walterswife
on 2/4/12 5:30 am
Hydrocodone is not an NSAID, It is a narcotic and ok to take after RNY.  So to answer your question, if you are talking about that drug, it's ok.  Not sure about any others you might have.  Be careful though after taking hydrocodone as it makes many people drowsy (and dizzy) and driving is not recommended within 24 hours of taking it.

Dave gave you a few of the No No list. Another and popular one is Motrin. 

Other no no drugs are alka seltzer, Midol, Naprosyn, Nuprin, Percodan, Darvon compound, Celebrex, Feldene, Tetracycline, Tetracycline.

Some ok drugs are benadryl, ambien, colace,dimetap, Dulcolax Suppositories, Fleet enema,Gas-X, Glycerin Suppositories, Imodium AD, Milk of Magnesia, Mylicon, Peri-Colace, Phazyme, Robitussin, Safetussin, Sudafed, Triminics, Tylenol, Extra strength  Tylenol and triminics.  Also allergy meds such as Allegra are permitted.  Most antidepressants are also allowed.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Gloria-Caryl
on 2/4/12 8:08 am
I've been taking baby aspirin and Meloxicam for arthitus. I'm having alot of stomach problems now, do you think they are irratating my stomach? Thought I'd better take Prilacix
walterswife
on 2/5/12 12:58 pm
I think there is a good possibility that the baby asprin is causing some problems.  You should call your surgeon's office about what you can and cannot take for arthritis.  You certainly don't want to develop an ulcer.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Gloria-Caryl
on 2/5/12 11:22 pm
Thanks for making me use common sence!!!!!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/6/12 3:05 am
Here's a list of NSAID drugs to avoid if you had RNY. This does not apply to peeps that had DS, sleeve and some bands (check with your surgeon).

It is not complete, and is older and newer drugs may not be on here as well. You need to check each prescription you get to verify there are no NSAIDs. 

RNY drugs to avoid

Advil
Aleve
Amigesic
Anacin
Anaprox
Ansald
Anthra-G
Arthropan
Ascriptin
Aspirin
Asproject
Azolid
Bextra
Bufferin
Butazolidin
Celebrex
Clinorial
Darvon compounds
Disalcid
Dolobid
Erythromycin
Equagesic
Feldene
Fiorinal
Ibuprofin
Indocin
Ketoprofen
Lodine
Meclomen
Midol
Motrin
Nalfon
Naprosyn
Nayer
Orudis
Oruval
Pamprin-IB
Percodan
Ponstel
Rexolate
Tandearil
Tetracycline
Tolecin
Uracel
Vioxx (off market...not safe for anyone)
Voltaren

Most Active