Discouraged yet hopeful

ASLgeek
on 2/14/12 1:11 pm - Lakeland, FL
So I was really excited after my mom said she was contacted by this doctor's office and they were only charging $4500 for the Gastric Sleeve (VSG). I was already to go, set up a date and everything.Then after doing some deeper research I found out that the guy's license isn't even real and belongs to someone else. I expect to hear some horror stories as with any surgery, because that's just the nature and risk of it all. But I'm flabbergasted to find out this guy isn't even a real doctor. I'm pretty sure most of you will know who I am referring to. The positive is that I am not out of any money but the negative is that I am back at square one. This is something I have wanted since forever because I've tried everything else but I've been repeatedly been turned down by insurance companies. So now that I have the alittle bit of extra money to pay for myself, I would like to go ahead and have the surgery done but I refuse to do it with someone who doesn't even have a valid license.

With my situation the money factor is an issue. I would have to self-pay because my BCBS insurance (though it is group insurance through my employer) will not cover WLS at all. Financing is also kind of out of the question as I have enough debt from grad school and undergrad and don't want to incur anymore as I have plans to purchase a home in the near future.

So, my question is does anyone know any GOOD doctors who aren't outrageously expensive and allows for self-pay/installments/whatever? I live in FL but am willing to travel. I've read that there are actually good doctors in Mexico who perform the surgery and have valid licenses but Mexico doesn't have to be the only option for me. Any suggestions you have would be great to bring some light back to this situation.
AnneGG
on 2/14/12 5:09 pm
Please do your research carefully before you sign on the dotted line- I think you have learned that lesson!

There is a link in the green line at the top of the page for Find a Bariatric Surgeon. You might want to check it out.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

MsBatt
on 2/14/12 10:14 pm
I know you're disappointed right now---but thank goodness you were smart enough to research this guy BEFORE you put down any money.

I'm going to say something you may not want to hear---I don't think the VSG is the best surgery for you,given your BMI is 69. You really need to look seriously at the DS/duodenal switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but this is especially true for those of us with a BMI of 50 or greater. Those of us you are/were SMO just plain need more help.

The DS has pretty much the same stomach as the VSG, plus an intestinal bypass to provide permanent malabsorption of CALORIES---the only form of WLS which does this. This permanent malabsorption is why the DS has such good LONG-TERM success rates. (It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.)

I suggest you research Dr. Ungson in Mexico.
Bette B.
on 2/14/12 11:00 pm
 If you haven't already, post on the Florida board as well, to ask for recommendations.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

clpeltz
on 2/15/12 2:24 am
I second what MsBatt says.  Make sure that you research the DS as well.  It has the best long term results.  Dr. Ungson is the only one to go to in Mexico for the DS.  You can visit dsfacts.com to get a lot of good information about the DS and you can post on the DS board here.  Good luck!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Valerie G.
on 2/15/12 4:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Thank goodness for you!  Patience, my dear - you're almost there.  It wouldn't hurt to call around and ask for self-pay rates now that VSG is gaining in popularity.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 2/16/12 12:28 am - bay area, CA
Good for you for researching that "doctor". The low, low price is a red flag - I've NEVER seen such a low price for any wls, even in Mexico.

As others have said, this is the time to research ALL your surgical options. Given your high bmi, you are unlikely to get the results you want longterm with any operation that doesn't include malabsorption. Even (legitimate!) surgeons who favor the sleeve, don't recommend it for patients with higher bmi's, though I don't doubt you can find someone who will take your money. So I hope you'll take a serious look at the duodenal switch (DS), which has the same stomach as the sleeve, thus preserving normal stomach function, but also would give you significant malabsorption that you will need to get to and esp to maintain a normal or near normal weight.
     You can get more info about the DS at dsfacts.com, and if you would like some great articles from the medical literature documenting the excellent longterm results of the DS, not just for weight loss but also for maintaining good nutritional health and for resolution of comorbidities, send me a pm.
     And yes, in Mexico, the go to guy for the DS is Dr. Ungson, or possibly Dr. Aceves, who is learning the DS from Dr. Ungson. Anyone else, beware!

Larra
ASLgeek
on 2/17/12 12:01 pm - Lakeland, FL
 Thanks everyone so much for your help. I feel excited about finding someone and proceeding with my surgery very soon. I will definiely take a look at the duodenal switch I definitely want something that will be effective in giving me the edge I need o get back in shape.

I was wondering...has anyone ued Dr. Morris Washington here? He is out of South Carolina and is offering a fairly low rate right now of only $8000 for self-pay options. I've checked up on him as far as medical license wise and he's valid but now I'm just curious to see what results he has had.
Most Active