Star Jones on the Today show

nurse55
on 2/15/12 1:48 pm, edited 2/15/12 1:49 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Anyone catch the Today show this A.M. with Star Jones discussing her gastric bypass and her weight loss journey??? I missed it!!!

Ladytazz
on 2/15/12 3:04 pm
I jus****ched it online.  I really relate to a lot of what she had to say.  She said she didn't tell people she had WLS because she wasn't emotionally ready and she was afraid of failure.  Much the same reasons I didn't tell anyone, still haven't in a lot of cases.  I still refuse to get attached to being thin because I don't know if it's permanent.  I have never kept the weight off before, including after my first WLS.  So I tend to treat my weight loss like a temporary situation.  Maybe in 5 or 10 years I will accept it, if God willing I am still normal size.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/15/1041 5634-star-jones-on-her-weight-loss-i-wasnt-plus-size-i-was-m orbidly-obese

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cathrine J.
on 2/15/12 3:26 pm - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12
I understand where she was coming from but I wish she hadn't released a book after she had lost the weight saying she did so through love and God's support (or something to that effect).  That's just dishonest as far as I'm concerned. 

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"

M M
on 2/15/12 9:04 pm
 Agreed.
Ladytazz
on 2/16/12 2:12 am
I agree but most of the time when someone asks about my weight loss I tell them that I stopped eating sugar and gluten.  All true but I rarely mention the surgery.  For one, my medical history is no ones business but my own.  Also, I always would get idiots who will say "But you're tiny, you don't need WLS".  Duh.  I had surgery, I don't need it now, I needed it then to lose the weight.  Another reason is fear of failure.  I already failed my first WLS and I really don't want people to be looking at me for any sign of regain.  It makes me very uncomfortable to know that people are paying attention to what I weigh or what I eat.
And finally, I don't really consider myself a great success or example for WLS.  Not only because I regained after my first WLS but I lost too much and don't look great and I hate for people to think that this is what WLS does to people because, as the disclaimer says, results are very atypical.  Many of the people who do know tell me that wouldn't get WLS or recommend it to anyone because they don't want what happened to me to happen to them or their friends.  Of course I know they are just making excuses but I hate to think that I discouraged someone who may be helped my surgery.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MacMadame
on 2/16/12 11:11 am - Northern, CA
On February 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM Pacific Time, Cathrine J. wrote:
I understand where she was coming from but I wish she hadn't released a book after she had lost the weight saying she did so through love and God's support (or something to that effect).  That's just dishonest as far as I'm concerned. 

Exactly.

It's one thing not to tell your business to strangers or even loved ones. But to tell a fake version of your business? That's lying, pure and simple.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

LeeLee72
on 2/15/12 9:08 pm - Niagara Falls, NY
 Cathrine..im with you. I mean why not tell the truth? even if she did gain some back she made it seem like she didnt have surgery which I believe is why her and Barbara Walters fell out a little.

I have told people because its going to be obvious anyway if the surgery works like it should and i follow the rules...which i totally plan on doing :)

MyLady Heidi
on 2/15/12 11:21 pm
If you out yourself and hold yourself accoutable you make sure you don't fail.  Anything else I do see as taking the easy and dishonest way out.
misty Y.
on 2/15/12 11:40 pm - CA
I didnt see it but will have to look up online now that I'm reading comments!  I think its a choice we each have to tell people we've had WLS or not but we aren't on TV or writing a book about it!! I think if you're going to write a book on your weight loss, you made the choice to talk about it and should be honest! I've told everyone I know.  I work with over 100 people and have nothing but AWESOME support!! Its awesome!
msromagnola
on 2/16/12 2:37 am
I don't know how I would react in her shoes...I really haven't followed her story more than seeing that she lost a lot of weight and that she had RNY.  I didn't really read about her denying, etc... in the beginning.

I'm just thankful that my life is not played out on TV or the magazines.  I couldn't stand the pressure of my problems being announced to the world and everyone having a  comment on it.

I do pretty good in my "little world" dealing with it - sometimes I tell, sometimes I don't tell --- all kinds of different criteria that I use --- sometimes if I'm in a group or in a really public place, I'll not tell - I'm not hiding it or secretive, I just don't feel like putting in on the loud speaker.  Sometimes it's just nobody's business when it's a stranger or aquaintance.

I have several stupid things I say when I get the "how did you do it?" question and I'm not in the mood to go into it AGAIN- I'll say, "you got an hour?  I'll tell you all about it..laugh and walk away.  Or I'll say,   "can you believe it?  please pray for me that I don't gain it back."

So I empathize with her really.

MSROMAGNOLA
Most Active