What to eat in CHINA.

Machita
on 2/27/12 12:24 am - MN
Hello All,
I will be 2 months out and traveling 3 weeks for school.  For those who are familiar with choices in China, any ideas of what I can seek out?  (No frog, dog, or cat please).  I will be packing tons of protien powder too.

Meg

Krazydoglady
on 2/27/12 12:48 am - FL
Take lots of protein bars.  Even if you can find 'appropriate' choices, you probably won't like them. Chinese food in China is not the Americanized stuff you're used to with lots of sugar, etc.  We have a standing travel advisory for employees traveling to our Chieese plants to pack protein bars. 

Cliff Mojo Trailmix bars are a good choice as they don't contain a lot of sugar alcohol and have 9-10g of protein. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Machita
on 2/27/12 12:49 am - MN
Thanks Krazy doglday. Good info! I will definately do that.  I didn't even think about all the sugar. 
LinZhi's Mum
on 2/27/12 1:18 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Well, I had my band ( pre RNY) when I spent 2 weeks in china. I took protien bars, nuts, and bough****er.  There was a breakfast buffett in hotel, I could get eggs cooked like omlet. Also KFC had on their menu some little eggie tarts. I ate those. I really struggled with foods there, mostly cause of "me" and my likes, but also worried about food getting stuck. I hate to admit this, but I did eat some plain choclate bars....LOL i recognized the wrapper. Now had I had a RNY....that would not have happened! 
Goodluck on your trip. Be prepared, depends on what area you are going.....you can find some stuff.. for sure

Hugs,                           
Sandy aka LinZhi's Mum

Machita
on 2/27/12 4:19 am - MN
Thank you.  I will watch for the eggs.  That is helpful.  What is bough****er.?
MsBatt
on 2/27/12 7:43 am
On February 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM Pacific Time, Machita wrote:
Thank you.  I will watch for the eggs.  That is helpful.  What is bough****er.?
You have your 'adult content' filter turned on. It's not a very smart filter---it thinks the last letter in 'bought' should combine with the first three letters in 'water' and spell a naughty word. (*grin*)

And frog is VERY GOOD.
happymom80
on 2/27/12 1:57 am - MO
VSG on 03/05/12
I was in China for 2 weeks this past summer. (this was obviously pre-surgery as my surgery is actually on Monday) They have a lot of good choices I think...are you still on mushy foods or something or full diet? There's always beef and noodles...the noodles are very tender and very little (if any) beef is actually in the dish. And it's full of broth. The way the tables are set up is very helpful. Your plate will be very small. If you're in Beijing or something, Peking duck is roasted duck and it is cut very thin and very moist. Dumplings are pretty moist and delicious. Boiled eggs were always available at the buffet at the hotel. They also had an oatmeal/cream of wheat type cereal too. Good luck! Have fun!

HW: 350+ (I didn't look after that)  SW: 328  

Machita
on 2/27/12 4:17 am - MN
Good stuff! Thanks.  Good luck on your surgury.  I'm right behind you on the 8th.
happymom80
on 2/27/12 4:41 am - MO
VSG on 03/05/12
Yay! Good luck to you too! What surgery are you having? I'm doing VSG.

By the way, the vast majority of people in China do not eat dog...anymore. Our tour guide in Beijing said that you have to go to really, really traditional places to find it. We went to a smaller city for the majority of our stay and never saw a place with it...to my knowledge. :)
AnneGG
on 2/27/12 2:05 am
My policy the times I have been in China was eat first and ask later. I love the food- no comparison with American Chinese! There are usually so many dishes to choose from, and most of them I found excellent!

Protein powder and protein bars are useful to have.  But experiment and find what works for you.

What part of China are you going to?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active