I finally found Yummy FIBER!

UtopianDream
on 3/2/12 8:21 am - St. Ignace, MI
RNY on 01/03/12
I was having trouble with constipation post-op and found out that a my daily intake of fiber was very low.  I was told by doctor that the normal daily value for fiber is 25 to 30 total grams per day and encouraged me to try to at least reach that for normal bowel movements. 
I searched the Internet, medical sites, and food labels and finally found one that has 48% of daily fiber per bar and actually tastes good (and I had to try some yucky ones to find these)!  What is this amazing snack?

The GNU BAR!

GNU has its own site and offers a sampler deal for first time customers, letting you choose 5 of their 7 flavors, one bar each, for $7.95 plus free shipping (as of today, though this offer may change).  Orders of single bars, 5 packs, and 16 packs are available and you can even join a fiber of the month club to have 30 or more bars automatically shipped monthly.  But try the flavors one bar at a time first; I liked some better than others.  They 3 new flavors are being introduced in a couple weeks as well.  My favorites so far are Chocolate Brownie and Banana Walnut.  They have nutrition panels on the bars themselves and on the order site.  The bars are thin, not bulky, and very moist so I found them easy to eat and digest.  I pasted Chocolate Brownie bar nutrition panel below.

You can Google them because I cannot list the website in forums and all opinions above are my own of course.  I have a half a bar twice per day but you decide what you like and need. Enjoy!

Amount Per Serving
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 35
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4g 6%
Saturated Fat 1g 4%
Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 30mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 30g 10%
Dietary Fiber 12g 48%
Soluble Fiber 8g  
Insoluble Fiber 4g  
Sugars 9g  
Other Carbohydrate 9g  
Protein 4g 6%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 6%
Iron 15%

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/2/12 9:29 am, edited 3/1/12 9:30 pm
way too many sugars.
Quest protein bars have almost the same qty fiber, and very little sugar. And 20gr of proteins. Check them on line.
Corrected - Quest have MORE fiber per bar

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

UtopianDream
on 3/2/12 9:35 am, edited 3/25/12 4:10 am - St. Ignace, MI
RNY on 01/03/12
How do they taste?  I will give them a try - thx for the suggestion!

EDIT:
Ok got my Quest bars today.  They are equal maybe slightly better than the flavor of Gnu bars (depending on the flavor).  If you like granola bars, Gnu has that texture.  Quest bars a tough chew and a bigger bar (60g compared to 45g with Gnu).  I microwaved them though and they were softer.
And as for the sugar in Gnu, it is natural sugar - none is added.  So I believe the bars are all in all equal.  So I will buy both according to which flavors are yummiest.

EDIT #2:
Quest bars are making me sick.  Going back to Gnu bars.

hollykim
on 3/2/12 9:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I am not sure thiis bar is such a really good choice. There is only actually 4 grams of insoluable fiber,the kind the body doesn't absorb. The 8 gram soluable fiber,we absorb and is probably carbs.

also there is 9 grams of sugar in rach one and only 4 grams of protein. I realize you are trying to use this bar for fiber but depending on how many you are having to eat a day to get to 25-30 gms of fiber,that is a lot of sugar and carbs..

You would be better off using Benefiber 2 teaspoons in 8 ounces of water every night to get your fiber.

Just don't be shocked if this bar in quantity stops your loss.

GL

Mary Catherine
on 3/2/12 11:50 am
 Do both kinds of fiber help with constipation?
hollykim
on 3/3/12 9:57 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I'm not sure but thinking they do not. the way insoluable fiber helps with constipation is because the body can't absorb it,it bulks up the rest of the waste that is passing thru and goes out in poop.

Soluable fiber is absorbed by the body and used for energy.

I may be totally wrong but this is what I think.

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/12 8:29 am
 Benefiber is the BOMB!  An Iced coffe to wake up, 3 scoops of protien ,  3 table spoons of benefiber ! WALA!!!  Multy tasked Breakfast ..Protien , wide awake and .. well... :)  Fiber!   OHHHHHHHH Tastes great too!!  Not a food eater till about 11 am, my band is always  "tight" feeling in the morning.  This is the wake me up for me . 
M M
on 3/3/12 1:29 am
 I really liked this one too.  It didn't kill my gut.  I am super, super sensitive to fiber.
loverofcats
on 3/3/12 8:04 am
You are so early out, that the carbs and sugar will really hamper your weight loss. Benefiber is a better choice. Not a good choice. I saw these bars, but thought that the sugars and carbs were too high, not enough protein, and the fiber wasn't a good one.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Mary D.
on 3/4/12 9:39 pm - Richmond, VA
I found these a while back and have them in every flavor. They are great - tasty, good stats, a real stick-to-your-belly effect. At 6 years out, I can tolerate the sugar with no problem and the fiber is very helpful as well.

Mary D. 
Pre op: 260 lbs, 5'3"
Goal reached 14 months later: 130 lbs
Regain over next 3.5 years to a high of: 166 lbs
Current weight: 135.8 lbs and heading back to 130 lbs!!

Most Active