Sad, Angry, Pissed, Defeated

Dannie M.
on 3/6/12 10:05 am - NC
Hi all. I received the news today that my psychological evaluation went exactly as I feared. After having me take a series of tests and spending only 45 minutes with me in which he twisted every word I dared to say, the man decided that I have anxiety levels too high to safely navigate the post-op rapid weight-loss. Not only did he say that he believed my anxiety levels were too high but he decided that I have a social phobia and need to learn how to interact with others since weight-loss will lead me to desire more human contact.

The man asked me questions, allowed me to partially answer them and then would interrupt me and say "we will come back to that". I feel that he totally dismissed everything I said and ignored that I have lost and kept off over 100 pounds before severe health problems stopped me for being able to exercise.  I spend my day working with people, all day long I interact with them successfully.
I am FURIOUS. LIVID. DOWN RIGHT PISSED.

I am being required to see a Psychiatrist to have my meds validated and then must attend weekly counseling sessions for 3 to 6 months and have the counselor sign a form stating that they fill that I am psychologically sound to undergo surgery.
I am in chronic pain in my feet, ankles and hips. I have no idea how I am going to come up with the $52 copay for a minimum of 12 weeks.  I wonder if this man understands the major medical problems I am going through, apparently not. I guess that was yet another portion of my answers that he was to uninterested to to hear.

I am so scared right now. I have been trying all day to figure out how I am going to be able to comply with his requirements. I was so excited about the possibility of having WLS and finally losing enough weight to be able to walk without hurting to the point of tears.  This seems like a distant dream now.
Dannie

Amanda_Kaye
on 3/6/12 10:21 am
This is disheartening to read and I feel for you! I really don't have much advice other than maybe seek a 2nd opinion. I had really high anxiety preop as well. In fact in my psych eval I was told that I was in the 97% of overly anxious people and the way he described it was if I were to be put in a room with 100 other woman only 3 of them would be more anxious than I am. So after about 2 hours of talking to my DR he said that he would clear me for surgery but he suggested that I seek out some help for my anxiety. Unfortunalty, my anxiety hasn't decreased much after surgery and I am in the process of trying to find someone to help. Im sure this doesnt help, but at least you know that there are other DR's out there that will submit approval with people who have high anxiety!

poet_kelly
on 3/6/12 10:31 am - OH
You could seek a second opinion.  You also have the right to refuse to consent for him to send any information about you to your surgeon or your insurance company (if you do not consent for him to send info to insurance, your insurance probably will not pay for the appointment).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AngieB2011
on 3/6/12 11:10 am - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
Wow if you feel his assessments are false you should definately seek a second opinion.

When I was looking to get my evaluation a couple drs. Told me that is would take several weeks. Having gone through the process before I knew this was not true. I think they were just money hungry.

Ask your surgeon's office for reccomendations.
Emeraldjewel
on 3/6/12 11:13 am
RNY on 02/14/12
Hi, I completely understand how you feel.  I had similar situation with my psych eval and was totally defeated when I left her office.  My meeting was much longer and she never asked anything about the surgery but was more into my whole life.  I found out after two weeks waiting for her report that she was requiring me to see a therapist.  I was completely defeated and felt like it was going to be another 6 months before surgery and I was so upset.   But I decided that I had already worked so hard and this was the last thing I needed for my approval.   I wasn't going to let this one thing stop me.  I was on the phone that night looking for a therapist that could see me ASAP.  It took me two days to get an appointment that was two weeks away.  Every extra day before getting a surgery date was very hard and the process seemed to be taking so long.   Luckily I got a great therapist that was very understanding *****ally seemed confused that I was asked to go to a therapist.  After 4 meetings she sent a letter to my surgeons office releasing me to have surgery.  I continued to go to her after she sent letter and last Friday was my last appointment.  I am now 3 weeks post op.  I guess what I want to say, even tho it is is a setback don't let it defeat you.  You can do this and  It will happen.  You never know the therapist could clear you after a few weeks.

God Bless

moringdawn
on 3/6/12 11:28 am
VSG on 07/11/12
 I'm sorry to hear that, was the psychological evaluation done from a doctor that your wl doctor sent you to? If it is I would go and found a new doctor for your psychological evaluation and if you have a new doctor to do a evaluation and he/she said you are good to go you may want to look for a new WL doctor to. Some doctors work together to help each other make money, I hate to say it but you have to be careful. I wish you the best.
AnneGG
on 3/6/12 12:04 pm
Oh, Dannie, I am sorry for your disappointment! I sure hope you don't let this deter you from your goal of surgery!

I would encourage you to get a second opinion. I would also encourage you to carefully and honestly consider the results of the evaluation. If there is some accuracy to it, he may be doing you a big favor in requiring some therapy before surgery to help prepare you for dealing with surgery and afterwards.

I know you know that surgery isn't going to magically fix everything for you. Weight loss could make your anxiety worse and make you feel more vulnerable. And your ability to be honest with yourself and work with yourself will be crucial to your post-WLS success.

Finding the money for the co-pays might be a very good investment in your well-being. I know my therapy has been invaluable for me.

When life gives you **** make fertilizer. Hang in there!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/12 12:45 am
Dannie,  Anne shared some beautiful and supportive points.  When we are too close to the pain, things sound like personal attacks.  What I heard from your account is that the psychiatrist REALLY cares about you and your long-term happiness.  You can hunt down someone that will rubber stamp anything.  They many times don't have your best interests at heart.  They are motivated by greed.  This psychiatrist on the other hand is offering an opinion that will prevent the surgeon from making money off of your surgery (for now).  Yet, he still did what he believed was right. 

I do not know anything about you nor have I formed any opinion of you other than you are a kind and sensitive person. 

I have seen MANY (myself included) not know how to handle increased attention after surgery.  And many also suffer from body issues where they still see themselves as obese after reaching goal.  For me, the weight loss was one of the easier parts.  And, I didn't understand or realize any of this until I experienced it.  Your psychiatrist knows of these experiences and he wants you to be happy and healthy. 
loretta cowels
on 3/6/12 4:09 pm - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
i would ask the surgeon about seeing some one else i dont think a 45 min appt is enough time to tell them much. I seen mine for three visits and she asked me my life story
M M
on 3/6/12 9:33 pm
 This is not surprising.

And, the industry need know why many people lie their way through this part of the process.  

I sent you a request --
Most Active