horrible skin fold infections and growths and drooping bags of fat over knees

pmann8
on 3/8/12 9:56 pm
Has anyone in the Columbus area used DR Holland or DR Houser for their reconstructive surgery?Have consultation sched for end of March. I was highest weight 477 then 417 on 3/4/09 for my RNY and now at 247. Great need for reconstructive abdominal surgery to remove excess skin (having constant infections and horrible growths in folds) and both RNY surgeon and dermatologist tell me as long as I have all this extra skin the problem will never resolve. The constant itching and severe pain is driving me crazy!! I also have horrible bags of fat and skin which droop over both knees and cause pain when I walk or exercise cause they flap back and forth. I will eventually need arms done as I look like a butterfly in flight...lol..but that will be last thing I worry about..My insurrance is a medicare advantage plan, Medigold, so I am hoping with medical necessity that they will cover part if not all of the cost. If I wind up being self pay, does my ins cover any hospital charges for surgical room or stay overnight even tho they don't cover surgeon? What if thee become complications?Has anyone had similar experience? I'm crossposting on main forum and plastics and state so hopefully someone will respond.....thanks guys....Patty

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/12 10:27 pm, edited 3/8/12 10:31 pm
Hi Patty ! 

Medicare DOES cover  plastics  (  full lower body lift which costs approximately thirty-four thousand dollars here in NY , particularly plastics where there are recurrent infections and the surgery will help with post op mobility .

You should not have ANY problem getting approved .  

HUGS  (((((())))) and good luck Sweetie !  Keep persisting .. thats the only way to get  the original WLS and the plastics U need and deserve .. 

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss !!
AnneGG
on 3/8/12 10:34 pm
AnneGG
on 3/8/12 10:46 pm
I hope your documenting and taking pictures to show the medical necessity! I don't know anything about the Medicare part.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

mollypitcher08
on 3/8/12 10:50 pm
Hi Patty: Just wanted to give you a heads up on the super job you are doing! Such a terrific weight loss! I wish I had advice on PS but am facing a smilar situation myself.  I have a huge pani in front and batwing arms and floppy legs with some lymphedema in my upper thigh just above the knees.  Its a challenge to be sure and I totally understand about the growths/infections.  Just try and keep the area clean & dry, I use white washcloths in my skin folds to help absorb sweat, etc. and wash faithfully sometimes 2-3 times daily.
I believe you should not have any problems in getting at least the panni done/paid for by insurance perhaps even more.  Just be sure it is documented, as to your growths, infections, complaints to your dr. about the areas, etc.  I believe it will help witht he insurance paying for it if it has good documentation on it.
Best of luck to you, I feel your pain, truly I do and sympathize.  Hang in there & let us all know how you do, ok?  Hugs, Mary
Most Active