The conversations after you have surgery

cassbenson
on 3/11/12 7:58 am - monticello, MN
 I am wondering how many of you out there are tired of the people you speak with about the bypass surgery and how thier this person or that person has gained all thier weight back? It has been 8 years for me and I struggle with about 20 pounds and I tell them mine went just fine and that I did use mine as a tool and I worked very hard to get where I am at. thanks for letting me vent..
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/12 12:20 am
Sometimes I wonder if its worth it to tell anyone.. ugh.. everyone has an opinion...
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/12 1:36 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
I think that there are failures and successes with every diet or weight loss surgery. Don't listen to the talk or better yet, don't bring it up. If they bring it up, tell them you really would rather not talk about it. I don't think hearing things like that is helpful to you or anyone else who has had the surgery. It is just skeptical, depressing talk and you don't need to hear it.
Valerie G.
on 3/12/12 2:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 There are several out here who have the same problem.  You shouldn't try to argue that its not true.  Some people just have different results and different cir****tances.  Mileage may vary.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LaughingCow
on 3/12/12 2:33 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Try this: "That's a shame. I'm sure their disappointed and frustrated after probably having high hopes for the surgery."

Their story is theirs. It's not yours. So the response should be about them. Not about you.

Does that make sense?
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
EthelMae
on 3/12/12 2:38 am - MD
You have to remember - opinions are like ******** - we all have one.

Also, are the comments people make any differnt from the ones they make in other situations?  For instance:

Pregnancy - people will tell you horror stories - in labor for days, extreme pain, etc. 
Root Canel - in pain for days, swelling, etc.
Someone who has an illness

How to you handle those comments?  Just know that the comments are going to happen. 

Regardless of all the good things that occur, it's human nature to remember the bad ones.

Just smile, thank them for their opinion and under your breath, remember what an idiot they are.

~Barb
Highest - 279 (08/2009)     Program Weight - 256 (03/10)  Surgery Weight - 232 (05/24/11)     

littleskie
on 3/12/12 3:15 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
There are two ladies in my church who had RNY. They both not only regained but gained even more than their original surgery weight was. One tried to stop me from getting the surgery and the other told me to do what I felt I was being led to do.

So I got the RNY. So glad I did.

I'm two and a half years out. I have lost two hundred sixty plus pounds. I have kept it off. I did have a bit of regain but as soon as I caught it I went back to counting carbs and lost it as quickly as I put it on.

Everyone is different.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

tscasto
on 3/12/12 9:19 am - Urbandale, IA
VSG on 03/22/12
I used to work as a Cosmetologist. During one of our training sessions, it was brought up about the stats of negetive versus positive experience. We were told that if someone has a negetive experience they will willing tell 11 people. Whereas if it is positive they will tell 1 person when asked. Unfortunately I think society in general thrives on negetivity. One example is the news, how often is it positively based? We all do our part in either feeding into that or changing that. I like the comment about how to respond. It shows you listened to what they said but define you are not them also. We are each unique & individual in our own ways.  Be your own author & write a different story for people to read, & see.
Tenille 

HW-248.8   SW-233.4  1M-216.2   4M- 188.6
Most Active