Almost 7 years with my band and over 100 lbs gone.

Tabitha Person
on 3/17/12 3:10 pm - Redmond, WA
Hi all!

It's been years since I've last posted and I apologize for that. I remember when I started my journey how much I treasured updates from longterm banders, then I just sort of dropped off the face of the Earth.

I had my band surgery Sept. 21, 2005. At the time I was hovering around 260. Today I am happy to say I've been holding at 155-150 for about three years. My BMI is spot on in the middle of average. But the best thing are all the great clothes I can now find. I'm a thrift store junkie and finding things in size 6 is much easier.

I see my doctor at least once a year, but haven't had a fill in four years. The band changed my entire view of food. I now enjoy every single bite. I love the textures, the flavors, the aromas. The band forced me to start savoring food. If anything I'm even more I love with eating than before.

As the weight started coming off I also found it easier to exercise. It started with just walks around the block, taking the stairs, parking far away from the stores, etc, but now I'm happy to say I've ran three half marathons and hope to tackle a full marathon within the next two years.

The thing I'm most proud of is the confidence the weightless gave me to go out there and achieve my dream of going back to school. I had my surgery right before I started my undergrad. I am now working on my Masters thesis and will start the PhD program next fall.

It's been a long, hard trip, but I can honestly say I've never been happier in my life.

Blessings to all and thank you for all the support I've received over the years.

Tabitha
Jo 1962
on 3/17/12 4:55 pm - NearHouston, TX
 Thanks for posting, Tabitha!  Congrats for your wonderful success.  I  LOVE my "treasure hunting" at thrift stores and I love savoring a good meal.  I am curious if you have kept your band on the "loose" side and do any foods give you problems?  

i was banded Aug 2010 and have had three fills followed by a small unfill in May 2011.  so far, so good,

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

Tabitha Person
on 3/17/12 5:27 pm - Redmond, WA
Right now my band is very loose. Haven't had a fill in years. Strangely enough I have a problem with noodles. I live in Seattle where pho (a Vietnamese noodle soup) is a staple. I mainly stick to just drinking the broth and eat the tofu since just a few chopsticks full of rice noodles can give me that "stuck" feeling. Same with pasta. I actually view it as a good thing since those were always foods i over induldged in prior to the band. I wish cookies and candy bars got stuck, but alas, I can still down a million of those in a sitting if I wanted to. I just try to keep stuff like that out of the house.
martitalinda
on 3/17/12 9:28 pm
 Congratulations! What an AWESOME journey.. Very inspiring...  Thanks for sharing.  Congrats on advancing your career too...that is fabulous.

My co-worker was banded a month before I had my RNY and has lost 118 pounds and is maintaining at 135 pounds for five years with no problems whatsoever yet  another friend was not so fortunate and has suffered some serious problems even involving her liver caused by the band apparatus and has had to revise.

Best wishes for continued health and success on your journey!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

JJ_
on 3/17/12 9:29 pm
Congratulations Tabitha on your success :) 

Judy
Dani Dutch
on 3/18/12 2:55 am - Netherlands
I love reading long term success stories such as yours
Emily F.
on 3/18/12 6:33 am
wonderful update.
Most Active