Supplements

quest4
on 3/20/12 12:11 pm
I had gastric bypass surgery a year ago. I am having a hard time getting in my supplements. What is going to happen to me if I don't take my supplements?   

How important are they really and where can I find the scientific data to corroborate this?

Thanks!
k9ophile
on 3/20/12 12:23 pm
Short term?  Probably very little.  Long term? More than likely a slow and agonizing death  If you have to ask, you must not be any good at research. Please do your loved ones a big favor and write some advanced directives and your will.  On second thought, you probably won't have anything left to give to loved ones.  You'll spend it all in a last ditch effort to save your life.

PS:  Google is your friend.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Linda_S
on 3/20/12 12:38 pm - Eugene, OR
 A lot of it will depend on your diet.  I don't take calcium, and my levels are fine, including my para thyroid and my dexascans.  But then, I eat a lot of cottage cheese, yogurt, and I drink a lot of skim milk.  I do need iron, D3, and a multi.  You can get a lot of nutrition from your food, but a lot of us don't eat well.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

poet_kelly
on 3/20/12 1:22 pm - OH
Well, if you don't take your B12, you'll get tired and depressed.  Then you'll get permanent nerve damage in your hands and feet.

If you don't take your D3, you'll get osteoporosis.  Same thing if you don't take your calcium citrate.

If you don't take your iron, you'll get tired, dizzy, weak.

If you don't take your vitamin A, you'll damage your eyesight.

How important are your supplements, really?  Your surgeon didn't explain that when you had surgery?  He or she didn't tell you that since part of your small intestine has been bypassed, you don't absorb vitamins and minerals as well as you used to?

Data to corroborate this?  Google "vitamin B12 deficiency," "iron deficiency," etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

M M
on 3/20/12 11:30 pm
 Meh.

Brain damage.

Valerie G.
on 3/21/12 5:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Protein Malnutrition - fatigue, skin rashes, hair becomes brittle or falls out, diarrhea, infection, edema.

Vitamin D and Calcium - depression, gum bleeding, osteoperosis, slow reaction time, memory loss, decreased organ function, dry skin, bone loss, easy bone breakage

Vitamin B - Chest Pain, heart palpitations, confusion, memory loss, dementia, constipation, depression, dizziness, fainting, fatigue, numbness, shortness of breathy, sore mouth and tongue, jaundice

Iron - weakness, fatigue, shortness of breath, headaches, trouble concentrating, irritibility, dizziness, pale skin, muscle soreness, brittle fingernails, cracked lips, trouble swallowing

...just to name a few, and many are irreversible once the damage is done.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active