FIRST TIME AT A RESTUARANT,1 MONTH OUT FROM SURGERY....WHAT DO I EAT???

emelar
on 3/23/12 6:35 am - TX
They have white bean chicken chili and broccoli/cheese soup.  I think the chili would be the safer bet.  At one month, you're not going to be eating a lot of it anyway!
mwromero
on 3/23/12 7:07 am - CA
Hello,

Stick with soft food, for sure, baked potato, soup, I made the mistake of eating solid too soon, (fish tacos) omg,  got stuck, and I ended up vomiting outside the restaurant (good thing it nighttime) after that I stuck with soft for a long time...lol,  I agree, chicken is not great like it use to be...Brocolli is hard going down, zucinni and carrots are good...Have a great evening!
momjan
on 3/23/12 11:19 am - Canada
aak!  Why are people advising on eating potatoes?  They are too carby IMHO! 

Stick with either a light soup - not Cream of anything (especially restaurant brands - they are usually pre-made and very high in calories).  How about one of the seafoods - salmon, tilapia, the Creole Catch or even the Crab Cake - as it appears to be seared. 

If the sides include rice, potatoes, pasta etc., ask them to leave them off the plate.  You aren't going to have room for it all anyways, and if it's on your plate, you might be tempted to eat the sides, not the protein.  I on occasion have asked for veggies to replace, say, rice (ie when I ordered a curried chicken dish) and they happily did it.  Of course, I couldn't eat it all anyways, but took it home and had dinner for two more days!

Just takes a bit of thought and the 'nerve' to ask for a change.  No need to explain why, other than if you wish, you can say you aren't eating carbs.....(or garner a bit of sympathy and say you have allergies....)

Enjoy the time spent with friends and family and enjoy what you decide to pick to eat!!!
Karen M.
on 3/23/12 12:01 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Because potatoes are safe, that's why.  It's not an everyday thing - it's a safe thing to eat when you're very early out and eating out.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

BrandNewKimmie
on 3/26/12 12:17 am
RNY on 02/21/12
Hi guys I made it through dinner! Thank you so much for all of your advice. I ended up ordering the Creole Catch…Grilled Tilapia, Veggies and Rice (I DIDN’T TOUCH THE RICE AT ALL). Normally I love to talk about my surgery and share my journey thus far with all that are curious however, I just didn’t want to explain that night about my surgery and why I can’t eat certain things or answer some of the questions people normally ask once they find out so that’s why I tried to order a relatively normal dish and not make all these special requests.   So, I had about 3 – 4 tiny bites of Tilapia, didn’t touch the rice and couldn’t even start on the Broccoli, very proud of myself! Oh and I had ½ glass of Cranberry Juice diluted with lots of H20, only had about 5 – 6 sips. One of you guys said that after surgery you focus more on the experience of dinning and enjoying the company that you’re with and for the first time in my life I found that to be very true! Before surgery my full attention went to enjoying my meal – that’s how much I loved food! It was nice to actually relax and enjoy the actual dining experience without pigging out. 26 more days (YES, I’ve been counting) of the puree stage! I feel pretty confident that when the time comes for me to actually be able to digest soft food and resume a normal healthy diet that I’ll be okay to eat out successfully from time to time!

Most Active