FIRST TIME AT A RESTUARANT,1 MONTH OUT FROM SURGERY....WHAT DO I EAT???

BrandNewKimmie
on 3/22/12 6:39 am
RNY on 02/21/12
Hi everyone,

Soooo I'm one month out and everything is great. I'm going to a gathering at Ruby Tuesdays this weekend and am super nervous because I have no clue what to eat especially because I have 30 more days left on the puree diet! As of now I can't always puree, I eat the same things I just chew until my jaws hurt and I'm fine, I chew it down to applesauce consistancy. Carrying around the food processor or pre-pureeing isn't always an option.  I have no clue what to try. I was thinking maybe like a Tilapia or Cod w/ veggies and box up the majority of it!  I've tried to experiement more, I haven't had any dumping but I certainly have things that don't agree like certain soups taste too salty or sweet, chicken is just eww, any advice will be appreciated, thanks guys! :)

kathkeb
on 3/22/12 6:56 am
I would eat before I go, then order a bowl of soup,or chili and either eat it or not, based on how it tastes.

Can you eat a baked sweet potato or white potato mashed with your fork?

Take the puréed stage as best you can ..... You have been cut and may not feel any damage, but it could still happen.
Your main job now is to heal.

Have fun ... Make it about the event and not about the food.
Kath

Ladytazz
on 3/22/12 9:17 am
Have you checked out the menu online?  That should give you some idea of what you can have.  Don't be afraid to ask for a special order.  I am pretty specific when I go out (dressing on the side, butter and sour cream on the side, meat broiled or baked, no sauce, etc.)  I have even asked for a special meal that wasn't on the menu, like chicken breast with fruit and veggies, things like that.
Plan ahead, stick to your plan and you will do fine.  Like they say, failing to plan is planning to fail.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Emily F.
on 3/22/12 9:44 am
I would do a light soup or shrimp. You can mash grilled shrimp up with a ford adn put in ranch. Focus on the talking, get the focus off the food. I've gone out since day 1 bc I went to Mexico and my mom ate at the restaurant every meal.
paranoidmother21
on 3/22/12 11:36 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Early out, I found that if I called a restaurant earlier in the day, spoke to the manager, and explained what I needed, they were universally helpful in telling me how to get it - and then I also had a name to use if the waitstaff was resistant ("Well, So-and-so said...").

It worked wonders.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

bubba6969
on 3/22/12 12:02 pm - MN
RNY on 02/16/12
Kimmie im the same stage as you I went to chinese had a little soup and a bite of chicken had work meetings today they served lunch I left lol I hate eating just dont want to im down 54 lbs since last month and hope to keep on track walking 3 miles every other day and hittin the gym the other days feels great good luck
TNERNURSE
on 3/22/12 12:15 pm
 Ruby Tuesday changes their menu frequently but they always have healthy versions. I love their smashed cauliflower, they have spaghetti squash baked , and grilled squash and zuchini. Good luck.

BWB
on 3/23/12 12:35 am
Whether you are at home or in a restaurant eat for yourself and don't worry about being different. I like the idea of eating before you go. Order a cup of soup and beverage. Getting out with friends is more about conversation and less about food.
Have fun, you're going to save a lot of money if you don't try to keep up with everyone else.

Valerie G.
on 3/23/12 3:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Look at the menu online and plan your course.  Also, it might be a good idea to partner up with someone to share a little bit of their meal.  I did that a lot my first 6 mos post op.  I couldn't eat enough to be worthwhile otherwise. Another idea might be a soft side dish.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

southbay311
on 3/23/12 5:51 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
You can always order a breakfast of scrambled eggs or cheese omlete, whatever you have plan on a doggie box. I also had my surgery on 2/22 and if I get 5 small bites of scrambled eggs or a light tuna salad I'm lucky. Soup has become my best friend.

Best of luck
H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Most Active