DUMPING

debbie13
on 3/24/12 12:43 am - Cossayuna, NY
 Question - I remember hearing/reading the difference between fat dumping and sugar dumping, anyone have the for sure answer to what the difference is?

I know that sugar dumping is racing heart, chest pains, heart palpitations, cold sweats, cramping and sometimes the runs. 

I thought I heard that fat dumping is like feeling a fire build up inside then sweating and again, sometimes the runs. 

Who knows? 

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

Mary Catherine
on 3/24/12 1:28 am
 I thought it is more that there is immediate dumping and delayed dumping.  And I thought either can be caused by fat or sugar, but what you wrote makes a lot of sense.
Marlee
on 3/24/12 9:51 am
I had my surgery almost 3 years ago and NEVER experienced a dumping episode until Jan. 1st, when I made the traditional sourkraut & pork for my family.  I also made homemade yeast rolls (you know - the kind that "grandma" used to make?) and took it upon myself to indulge in eating 2 of those babies without having much protein first.  Well - let me tell you, THAT will NEVER happen again.  I'm assuming that that was a sugar/carb dumping episode, one in which I NEVER care to re-live again.
I can remember telling my surgeon (as some point) that I just don't dump.  His reply to me was that was because I was being so "compliant", and never pushed the boundaries ....i.e.   I never really allowed myself "enough" of something to actually bring on a dumping episode.  Until Jan. 1st, that is.....
I would rather die than re-live that horrible day.  I was sweating profusly, my heart was racing so bad that I thought it would actually jump out of my chest, and as more time passed, I became increasingly "tired", to the point to when I finally zonked out, my husband was just about ready to call 911 because I was in a comma-like state for a good 4 hours.  It literally took me "days" to bounce back from this episode and taught me a very valuable lesson.  I've made the 'choice' to be compliant - life is just so much easier that way!
Sharyn S.
on 3/24/12 1:07 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Dumping is dumping, whether it is caused by sugar or fat.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Most Active