New to the site

MelW1986
on 3/27/12 4:05 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/12
Hello. My name is Melissa. I am new to the site. I live in Minnesota. My story is in my blog. I am looking for free or cheap pluz size clothing. I am waiting for my medical to approve for me to have the surgery. I do not want to buy brand new clothes when I am hoping to lose pretty fast. Plus I cannot afford that. I need sizes from 4x down.
MsBatt
on 3/27/12 1:41 pm
Check out places like Goodwill, the Salvation Army, etc. Good transitional clothes cheap! I've bought things there that still had the original tags on them. And yes, they have a plus-sized section!
Sandra C.
on 3/27/12 2:32 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Melissa,
 The weight drops off fast, you are not going to be able to keep up with purchasing fitting clothes. I know many shop at good Will stores. I suggest looking into learning to sew, invest in a surger sewing machine, from Walmart, and a sewing machine. With these 2 machines you can take in your current wardrobe many times. I lost 110 lbs in 7 months. I bought very stretchy clothes on the tight side, within a few weeks they became loose. Taking them in along the side seams is easy. The surger cuts the fabric and edges at the same time. Use the internet to learn sewing techniques for free. Google" altering clothes". youtube also has lots of instructional sewing videos, easy to follow for beginners. Have fun learning to sew!!!!

Sandra  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

qnmimi
on 3/27/12 6:28 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Hi Mel..I'm from minnesota too. I look for thrift shops...Saver's, goodwill, Closet Mentor, and try to find sizes down as cheap as I can too. Currently, my weight has been more stable, so have ventured out to the dept stores more. I've been shopping the clearance racks, and have found decent deals lately at Kohl's and JC Penney. I wish I could sew...would probably save me a lot of money. I never thought of you tube videos...what a great idea to learn!

MsBatt
on 3/28/12 1:38 am
I learned to sew when I was 14. My mom handed me some fabric and a Simplicity pattern and said. "Here. Sew. Ask me questions if you can't understand the directions on the pattern."

I bet youtube would be a LOT better! (*grin*)
MyLady Heidi
on 3/28/12 3:38 am
I learned to sew when I was a kid too, this brought back so many memories of watching my mother sitting making these intricate outfits to wear, with the worlds ugliest fabric.  I swear my mother who had amazingly beautiful taste and was likened to Jackie Kennedy when she was young, had the complete worst taste in fabric.  She favored patriotic plaid or mint green and lemon yellow seersucker.  Truly hideous.  lol lol  Thankfully she stuck to making my Barbie dolls clothes after that.  lol

To the OP consignment is your best bet if you don't want to do thrift.  I get skeeved out by the smell of some thrift stores but the consignment store I go to is upscale and has a $1 day once a month where each item cost a buck.  I bought gorgeous fully lined leather pants and an Italian fully lined leather skirt both for only $1.  Nothing can beat that.
MelW1986
on 3/28/12 3:29 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/12
I do know how to sew but the clothes I have do not have much options for taking them in. I have been checking the local thrift store but it is stupidly expensive and half of the stuff is stained. For the price they want for stained up clothes I can go pay $2-$5 more at wal-mart. I have found a few ladies on facebook in my area to buy stuff from for cheap so I thought I could maybe find more on here.
AnneGG
on 3/28/12 5:29 am
Welcome!

Consignment stores were what I did when I was losing. Now I spend too much money on pretty things... But the investment helps keep me thin. I've given away or consigned all my bigger clothes, and I simply refuse to have to buy a larger size.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active