Calcium supplements

Popclub
on 3/28/12 4:04 am, edited 3/28/12 4:53 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
Hi,

I just got my order of Calcium supplements. I ordered the Calcet Citrate Chewy in chocolate and lemon as well as the BA calcium citrate chews in chocolate and caramel.

Although I would use less of the Calcets, I think I prefer the BA chews. The caramel ones are great.

I have the petite pills, but found it hard to take six every day. Even though they called them petite, they are still big. And SIX everyday? Ugh!

Now I have a variety and can mix and match. I just read that it's best to take 500 mg at a time because that's all your body can absorb at once. So that's two chews, three times a day.

Question. Have you found that the calcium supplements give you any stomach issues, such as gas or bloating? Just curious? Seems like after I started taking the petite pills I began having a little discomfort.
mwromero
on 3/28/12 4:56 am - CA
Hello,

I take liquid calcium magnesium, it helps with the constapation, that calcium may cause. if pills don't contain magnesium,  that may be the cause of gas.
best wishes
poet_kelly
on 3/28/12 4:58 am - OH
You know, the petites only have 200 mg per pill so you'd need more than six per day.  I'm not sue which surgery you had.  If you had RNY you'd need eight to ten a day.  I think it's ten to 12 a day for DS folks but I'm not positive on that.

The calcium doesn't bother my stomach, no.  I love the Calcet ones and the BA caramel.  If you put the Calcet chocolate ones in the freezer, it tastes just like a frozen candy bar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AnneGG
on 3/28/12 5:15 am
Me, I'm quite partial the the BA chocolate chewy bites. I'm working at getting through the Calcet lemon ones I ordered too many of.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/12 9:00 pm, edited 3/28/12 9:07 pm
After a while the  fancy gummy  dessert flavored kinds  just got too expensive /  candy-like ( with tons of excess fat and sugars and calories ) ... and I also realized many of them contained only elemental calcium   which does little for us post bariatric folks (  we need calcium citrate )   Thats not to say I won't scarf  down a free bariatric lemon  petit-four sample though  ! 

I DO Think the  supplements with trace amounts of phosphorus are more readily absorbable , as are the ones with dry D , magnesium and zinc.  I look  for those in my calcium citrate tablets .  As far as what KIND of calcium citrate and other tablet to buy -  I look for posture D  ( because of the phosphorus ) .. but buy a variety  because  a)  its cheaper to buy on sale  b)  what one  tablet has the other one doesnt so it all balances out health wise .  I end up getting the necessary trace elements .

I am not of the  opinion that U have to choke down  a handful  of calcium pils every day though .

I find that  EATING natural calcium really helps me in the form of kale ,  broccoli , and other leafy greens .   I eat  a generous serving  of  lightly cooked fresh greens everyday and supplement with  the occasional pair of calcium pills here and there . So far so good ... no leaching from the  bones and as a matter of fact the doc says my bones are getting stronger . 

My posture ( and also the strength and integrity  of my teeth) has definitely improved in the years since surgery .  
M M
on 3/28/12 10:30 pm
 " Thats not to say I won't scarf  down a free bariatric lemon  petit-four sample though  ! "

Those particular chews are calcium citrate.

Calcet
tisha_jill
on 3/29/12 3:49 am
 LOVE the BA chews and Calcet Chews and they definately help my CA complience BUT I think like most "Bariatric Focused Products" THEY ARE POISONING US WITH SUCRALOSE/SPLENDA AND  OTHER ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS!

Tisha

Popclub
on 3/29/12 4:54 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 Well, you are probably right. But I feel like I have cut out so many other bad things that getting my Calcium in a palatable way is ok. I'd rather pay a little more and have a few calories to count than take the chance of skipping my Calcium because I can't get those pills down. I guess we did not sign up for easy huh? 
Most Active