Constipation

Stayce
on 4/1/12 6:37 am, edited 4/1/12 10:32 am
VSG on 03/28/12
 Has anyone else experienced constipation after you were sleeved? If so, hfor how long? Was it til you were able to eat puréed foods? 

I am 4 days post-op and the last time I "went" was the morning of my surgery. I know that Percocet can make you constipated, I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this too.
 Life is not an emergency, live one day at a time.        
LeeLee72
on 4/1/12 11:42 am - Niagara Falls, NY
 I had rny and with any surgery you can become constipated (I've had several).  The pain meds alone can cause that. When I was leaving the hospital though, my surgeon's assistant told me that "no one should go more than 3 days without a bowel movement". So they had me taking milk of magnesia and colace in the hospital and when I still didnt go, he told me to go get Senokot tablets. 

You should call your surgeon, see what they recommend for costipation.I take a colace if I start noticing constipation issues (they gave me a script for it).  Dont go too long because you could get impacted bowel.

KathyA999
on 4/1/12 11:53 am
Oh yeah...  LOL  I remember it well.  I was in so much pain and discomfort I even went to the ER, but after checking me out they just sent me home with recommendations for OTC remedies.  I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I felt like I had a cement tennis ball stuck right at the gate, if you know what I mean.  A couple of glycerin bulbs later, I was finally cleared out.  I don't remember how far out I was, maybe a few weeks, but I do think it was a result of pain meds - liquid Lortab (which like an idiot, I took to help with sleeping, not to help with pain).

I now take a generic version of Miralax every other day, I get it at Costco, and it keeps me pretty regular.  It's safe to take indefinitely (it's just "fiber on steroids"), and I will take for the rest of my life if I have to - I NEVER want to go thru that horrible experience again.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Valerie G.
on 4/1/12 12:13 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I dealt with constipation while I was on pain meds.  Milk of Magnesia did the trick for me.  Once I was down to ibuprophen, it got better.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Caitlyn_Cat
on 4/2/12 1:45 am
It was awful for the first few weeks, but then I discovered Miralax and things have been good since then.  Concientiously eating high fiber foods helps, but  I never skip a day, and on some days if I feel backed up I have 2 helpings.  My doctor says you can't get hooked on it like some laxatives, and it's not bad for you.  The worst is the cost since its not cheap, but I've discovered the generics are just as good. 

Height: 5'5" / HW: 223 / SW: 196 / GW: 125 reached 12/22/2011 / CW: 121    
Popclub
on 4/2/12 2:34 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 When I left the hospital, Colace was on my discharge meds list. It is a stool softener. I have a bottle but I have not used it yet ( just got it). Some mornings it is hard ( pun intended) so I might have to give it a try. I am afraid that the softener might cause cramping, so I am reluctant?

Beejay

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/12 3:08 am - Mexico
On April 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM Pacific Time, Popclub wrote:
 When I left the hospital, Colace was on my discharge meds list. It is a stool softener. I have a bottle but I have not used it yet ( just got it). Some mornings it is hard ( pun intended) so I might have to give it a try. I am afraid that the softener might cause cramping, so I am reluctant?

Just so you know,  Colace is usually better taken before it is a problem.  If you have a big problem and THEN take Colace, it isn't NEARLY as effective.

No, no cramping.  That happens from things like MOM and Dulcolax.  Not stool softeners.

Most Active