help

kirasoma
on 4/2/12 6:13 am
Nothing tastes good.drinks taste like metal and food tastes like it too.had surgery feb28. Will i ever havetaste buds again. The protein powder is just as bad i am hardly able to eat more than one tsp of anything
(deactivated member)
on 4/2/12 6:16 am
This too shall pass!  Just focus on how bad you want to lose weight.  Make that metallic taste a positive!  It mens you are burning fat.  Sip your water and protein all day, every day. you don't even need solid foods for a while. 

Best,

kimberly B.
on 4/2/12 6:44 am - athens, al
glucera shake  see you will get  taste buds

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/12 7:03 am, edited 4/2/12 7:45 am
Maybe you are thinking of a different shake...Glucerna shake.  However, even Glucerna is a poor choice for many WLS patients. 

As far as Glucera, there are TONS of carbs and a little too much fat in these for the average WLS patient.  And, there is not enough protein. 

I drink Syntrax Nectar.  It is 100 calories, 24 grams of protein, and mixes with water.  It has zero fat and zero carbs.

The standard Glucera shake has:
AMOUNT PER SERVING
Calories 290
Calories from Fat 99
  %DV
Total Fat 11 g 17%
Saturated Fat 1 g 5%
Trans Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 2 mg 1%
Sodium 280 mg 12%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g 13%
Dietary Fiber 4 g 16%
Sugars 10 g  
Protein 13 g  
Vitamin A 35%
Vitamin C 100%
Calcium 35%
Iron 25%
AnneGG
on 4/2/12 6:45 am
Hang in!

Things get better little bit by little bit. Force yourself with protein and fluids and exercise.

You can do it!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Dorathea
on 4/2/12 8:55 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
Good luck!  I had surgery a month after you and I've noticed that my tastebuds are a little more sensitive.  Like I can taste the milk proteins in my unflavored protein powder.  We just have to remember that everything will improve.  I have a friend who had the RNY 11 years ago and I see how she eats...ya know 'normal' and I just have to remember that I will eventually get there too.  Everything just comes in time.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

Jackie McGee
on 4/2/12 10:28 am - PA
Things will get better. This early out, just concentrate on getting your liquids in. Once you feel better, up your protein and start moving around and you'll be amazed at how great you feel.

Sip as much as you can, as often as you can. Drink sloooooooooooooow. If you like sweet protein drinks, I highly recommend BSN Lean Dessert protein in any flavor - cheapest price for it is on Amazon.com. (Cinnamon Bun and Chocolate Peanut Butter are my faves.)

Suck on ice and if you do fruity protein drinks, make them as cold as you can. With fruity protein powders, I've found that they taste better and sit better in my tummy when they're cold. Even room temperature makes me throw them back up, then and now.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

littleskie
on 4/2/12 1:47 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
You are probably going thru ketosis. That means your body is burning fat and protein to keep going. Which is what you want. You don't want the body to store fat.

Drink lots of water and protein drinks. Eat whatever is on your plan at this stage and be patient. Two bites may fill you up. Sometimes I only got one bite in before I knew it wasn't something I was going to be able to eat comfortably.

This will pass. You will be able to taste again. This is just a temporary thing.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Most Active