Approved for Lap Band!

Nikkal
on 4/7/12 4:06 pm
VSG on 07/18/13
 if you're absolutely set on a lap-band (and I'd NEVER get one - I'd rather take 20 yrs to lose this weight) make sure your insurance will cover the cost of unlimited fills/unfills - there are people here who have needed a dozen or more additional visits to the surgeon.  Make sure removal is covered - after all, this device is NOT meant to be left in your body, even if you're successful. Find out what they cover in case of complications - both life threatening and not.

I'm not so sure I'd be excited about the additional imbrication (which sounds similar to plication) - its fairly new and has its own set of additional complications on top of those endemic to the sleeve.

I find it odd that an insurance company would not cover RNY, the "gold standard" in bariatric surgery (with decades of research on its efficacy), but would cover the lapband with all its known complications and low success rate. Even patients who have no complications lose less of their excess weight than any of the other surgeries. Somewhere out there, there's an actuary who needs to be fired...

I really hate to rain on your parade, you're so excited, but I would try to discourage my worst enemy from lap-band, let alone a perfectly nice Oregonian.
MARIA F.
on 4/7/12 5:07 pm - Athens, GA

You've gotten a lot of good advise here. If you notice.........you rarely see anyone that has made it 5 years out with the band. And if they have..........they usually have had to have at least a 2nd band surgery. From what I'm seeing over and over...........the band is a short term solution at best. For many out there though........it doesn't even work short term!

I know this is not what you want to hear, but you are much better off paying yourself for RNY, VSG or DS than getting the band free.

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/12 10:49 pm - NJ
This could have been my post 4 years ago.  I was thrilled when I was approved for the band - I was happy because it was a "same day surgery, less invasive, adjustable and removable".  Little did I know that I would get to experience all of the above.

Like many of the others have stated, I totally get how desparate you are to get the weight off - I have been there and I can read it in your posts.  I know you are pretty much willing to do anything to get it off.  I don't know what this imbrication is that you are speaking of (I have not heard about it before).

No one is trying to hurt your feelings or upset you, but the truth of the matter is the band works for so few people that it's more than likely you will not be one of them.  We ALL want to be that 1% that defies that statistics or beats the odds.  

When I was banded, the only complications that were given were that the port "may flip" or that the band could slip - both of which were so trivialized that it seeme like "big deal if that happens".  There were no long term success stories at that point as in 2008 the band had just started to become really popular. Had I known then what I know now, I would have remained fat if the band was my only choice and ran the other way. 

There were no studies available really and no one said that I wouldn't be able to eat, or I would constantly vomit or have such reflux that I thought I erupt into flames from the heartburn!!  

I don't know what's up with your insurance but I would seriously research why that is and look for another job that has better insurance or save up for something else, especially if there is a one WLS per lifetime caveat on your policy.  When (not if) the band craps out on you, what are you going to do if your insurance won't cover the surgery to have it out?  Are they going to pay for fills, which if done in the hospital can cost over $1000 per fill (and this is going back 4 years)?  You will need lots of them, and unfills too - they aren't free either.

I had my band for 8 months and like the others have said, it was a living hell.  Fortunately i have great insurance and a good surgeon who took mine out pretty quickly (based on what I have seen around here and how long people are made to suffer because their surgeon believes that they are not following "the rules" instead of that the band is really making them sick!!) and I revised to RNY exactly 3 years ago.

I had about 100 pounds to lose too, and I lost a whopping 15 in 8 months, and that was because of the liquid phase after having the band installed.

Again, please, please, please reconsider.  You don't want to be in a place where you need to have an unfill or have it removed and can't afford it because your insurance won't cover it.
karianne
on 4/8/12 4:11 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Congrats!! I did great with my lapband for many years.  Follow the rules and eat slowly. Don't expect fast weightloss.  IT takes time to get your fills and get to a good level for losing weight.  You will have food intolerances usually pastas and breads.   I found maintaining with the band was easy.  Unfortunately mine malfunctioned after 8 yrs and I just got a revision.  I wish you luck.  Karianne 

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/12 7:09 am
RNY on 05/07/12
 Amy,  if I were you take heed to all the posts you have read here.  Remember the saying, "Something wicked this way comes" is all I can equate to what these people have been through with their bands.
Jane in California

Kim S.
on 4/9/12 2:38 am - North of Boston, MA
Congratualtions on your approval.

By all means do your research (which it sounds like you have).  I've had my lapband almost 7 years, no complications and I'm down 95 pounds.

All WLS have pros and cons.  Good Luck!!

Kim

Down 95+ pounds and still trucking along

Neal R.
on 4/9/12 4:06 am - Wylie, TX
Congrats. The band is not as good as some say and not as bad as most of these others have said. It can and does work. Not for everyone, but it. I'm over 6 years out and not one complication and been at goal for years.

http://www.nealslapband.com/
Banded May, 9, 2006 by Dr. Cribbens. Abdominoplaty on 02/11/08
TT pics: http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=4974

Facebook: Neal Riggins (Wylie, Texas)
Twitter: @NealRiggins
Most Active