I understand the reason for the diet stages, but...

Dorathea
on 4/8/12 8:14 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
days like today when the rest of the family is eating a fabulous Easter dinner, I'm feeling a little bummed out.  I really would love to be eating solid foods, but I also understand that I need to give my new stomach time to heal and my gastrointestinal system time to get used to this major change.  Thanks for letting me vent.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

Lori P.
on 4/8/12 8:22 am - Kenosha, WI
It stinks! 

Hope you had a great Easter despite this  :)

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Jackie McGee
on 4/8/12 10:21 am - PA
Some of us didn't get an Easter dinner at all, or the opportunity to see family - so count your blessings!

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

JJ_
on 4/8/12 10:51 am
Vent away.....Food does come eventually.  I was on Optifast pre-surgery and attended Christmas family dinner drinking crystal light and Optifast....  There are still more holiday get togethers and food will be part of it.  We need to be mindful of what we eat any day of the week :)

Judy
Lisa H.
on 4/8/12 11:36 am - Canada
VSG on 03/28/12
I know it sucks big time!  Im 11 days out and started full fluids today...a couple days early but at least it was a change.
Mary Catherine
on 4/8/12 12:13 pm
Just think how much slimmer you be at the next holiday feast.
rbb825
on 4/8/12 6:29 pm - Suffern, NY
Just be glad that you were able to spend the day with your family - food is the least of it.  I actually hate most of the hoidays since I dont celebrate them.  I celebrated Passover last night which was nice but that made today a really boring day for me.  I have no family nearby so I was home alone.  I spend the day on the computer and sleeping catching up on my sleep but it was very boring.  I hate holidays.

I have a brother that lives an  hour away and he celebrates Easter with his family but they are so wrapped up with there family that I dont get invites.  It sucks.

So, just be glad you were with your family and enjoying.  I know you miss the food, we all did.  When I was first out of surgery, I actually timed it pretty well, not intentionally but my first day of solid foods was Thanksgiving Day - I was in heaven.  Turkey and mashed potatoes never tasted so good and it will taste good to you in a couple of weeks.  Be patient - the results will be worth it

Lisarn1
on 4/8/12 8:42 pm - Raleigh, NC
I know that the holiday was frustrating for you, but at least you were with your loved ones. It's usually just my husband and myself for the holidays, because we live so far from everyone. Travel on the holidays are so difficult, what with traffic, costs, and getting the time off work. 

Take heart, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, July 4th, and Labor Day are all coming soon.  

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

walterswife
on 4/9/12 2:18 am
I can understand what you are saying.  I had my surgey three days before Christmas and came home on Christmas Eve.  Why a few of my friends questioned my timing, I reminded them that Christmas dinners (along with other holidays, special occasions, etc.) were the reason I needed surgery in the first place.

Actually I lucked up on the date b/c there was a cancellation.  I jumped at it knowing that my out of pocket would be less than had I waited until January.

As yes, everything was worth it.  I enjoy food now but it is no longer the center of my universe.  Thank God!

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/9/12 12:01 pm - OH
Just know that not all surgeons have those extended phases of liquids, then purées, etc.  Some surgeons (like mine) start people of soft foods on Day Three as long as they did fine on clear liquids Day One and full liquids Day Two.

There is really no evidence that soft, well chewed solid foods do ANYTHING negative to your healing pouch/sleeve.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active