Chicken broth...

lesserman
on 4/8/12 12:19 am - Chicago, IL
When I was stocking up on foods to eat post-op at home, one of the items I bought was a carton of Swanson's Reduced Sodium chicken broth (it was the only label I didn't study before putting it in my cart) but this morning I noticed that per serving size (1 cup) it has 1g of sugar and the ingredients read as follows: Chicken stock, less than 2% of salt, flavoring, dextrose...

I know each person's constitution is different, but is that enough to induce dumping?

I'm inclined to not use this until I can rule out that there are no other alternatives...
Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

Lisa S.
on 4/8/12 12:44 am - Lexington, NC
Mini Gastric Bypass on 03/14/12
I used that same broth & didn't have a problem...BUT remember all of our bodies are different so unfortunately most things are trial & error. Good luck.
Jennifer M.
on 4/8/12 1:45 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 I actually found that taking the noodles out of chicken noodle soup presented a better tasting broth.  The broth is unlikely to cause you to dump--however, you really don't want reduced sodium, unless your surgeon has specifically instructed you to have it.  The sodium actually helps with nausea, and your diet is so small that sodium is unlikely to cause you problems.

Dorathea
on 4/8/12 3:22 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
I agree.  I've discovered that straining soups has tasted much better than broth.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

Most Active